tube amp volume

A27

Hello, New to the forum here. I have a RCA tube amp console pull and I also have a Magnavox tube amp as well also a console pull. Anyway, the amps are both EL84 PP output with about the same size transformers. The Maggie is louder than the RCA. Is It because of the resistors and caps used in the Pre/inverter tube setup? I can only get the same level of loudness if I use the tuner/preamp section with the RCA. I do not use the pre section on the Maggie. The Maggie uses 6EU7's with 47K on the input and .047 coupling caps on the other side. The RCA has 6CG7's and 680K on the input and .27 coupling caps on the other.

I thought about getting my experiment on and changing the 680K's ito 47K's and the .27 caps to .047 caps. I thought I'd seek the wisdom of this forum before I did any possible damage. Will it work though? Will the amp be as loud as the Maggie without the preamp/tuner section? I guess that is my goal, to use the RCA like the Maggie.
Thanks.

You won't change much by changing resistors and caps. 6EU7 has a lot more gain than 6CG7. Can't think of a higher gain one to use - maybe 6DJ8, but I'm SURE you'd have to change a few resistors. Of course if you're willing to rewire the socket, you have lots of choices.

yup... the difference is probably just the gain in the driver section. The ultimate, attainable power output is probably exactly the same, or very close, assuming all parts are reasonably close to their nominal values.

A27 - Welcome

To AudioKarma and thanks for making your first post on Tube Audio! MikE

Back
Top Bottom