Tube CD Player???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myvinyl333

I went back and read some posts as to a McIntosh tube CD player...As there is no such player...
What are your suggestions in a 2 channel CD player? I have been looking at
Musical Fidelity Nu Vista CD Player, It must be a close out @ Saturday Audio?
Thanks,
George.:zoom:

You do understand that the tubes in these "tubed CD players" are just a cathode follower or other line-level output driver... everything upstream of the tube is plain-vanilla CDP?

Just checking.

You do understand that the tubes in these "tubed CD players" are just a cathode follower or other line-level output driver... everything upstream of the tube is plain-vanilla CDP?

Just checking.

I have been told that before as a warning when considering a CD player that use tubes. I have read for several years that people have found a warmth from their CD's via such a unit they never had before...

I am actually looking at any CD player that will make my 100's of CD's sound better:music:

Well, I guess my point was that there may be less expensive -- or more general -- ways of warming up those CDs than buying a "tube CDP".

I.e., a cheap tube buffer, or a not-so-cheap tube preamp may give you all that you're looking for.

Well, I guess my point was that there may be less expensive -- or more general -- ways of warming up those CDs than buying a "tube CDP".

I.e., a cheap tube buffer, or a not-so-cheap tube preamp may give you all that you're looking for.

Given my current use of the Lexicon MC4 as my processor, I have gone with the MC202 as my power for my fronts... I do have a Mapletree 4SE tube phono preamp that is being built.. so there are tubes in the vinyl path....CD path???

My Jolida 100 definitely sounds better than my Sony 595. Even with a Number Cruncher DAC on the Sony.

Maybe pirate a tube amp from a "$20" old CL console and dedicate it to your CDP.

Still rollling tubes but im digging my new Melody.

Attachments

• CD-M10_Front1.jpg
    CD-M10_Front1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 120
My Jolida 100 definitely sounds better than my Sony 595. Even with a Number Cruncher DAC on the Sony.

Maybe pirate a tube amp from a "$20" old CL console and dedicate it to your CDP.

Meggy, have you tried different tubes in your Jolida yet?
My Jolida sounds warmer than my Denon without a doubt, thinking about rolling some different tubes in it.

In the used market, look for a California Audio Labs Delta transport and Sigma II or Alpha DAC. Both DACs use 12ax7 tubes (Sigma II uses one, Alpha has 3) in the output to add some tube warmth. I like my Delta/Sigma II a lot. Of course you can add the Sigma II or Alpha as an outboard DAC to any CD player with a digital output.

not tubes but will make your rig sound like you broke the bank the Music Hall 25.2 money well spent look at the review on it in Stereophile.

What do you suggest? I have seen a few on ebay? :scratch2:

I have the MHZS CD88E and love it. Nice tube sound. They also have the CD33E and CD66E models. They come in black or silver. The MHZS units are built in the same factory with the Shanling units and they seem to be heavy, well built, quality units.
As with any tube player you need to burn the tubes in for best sound, but right out of the box mine sounded great and is getting better as it burns in. No regrets on my part.

I have had good luck with the Chinese vendors on the bay, but as always look at their feedback and go from there.
Some of them will sell units for very low bid prices but have higher shipping fees. If you are patient and it does not get bid up, you can get a really good deal this way. I and others have done this and saved quite a bit. Do your homework first and compare your options so you will know what the total price will be whatever way you go. I found shipping from China, Australia, Europe, etc, takes a while regardless if you choose express or standard. They have to go through customs so be prepared to wait for it to arrive if you go this route. You can save if you are willing to go standard shipping. The times are actually not that much different from express.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Jim

I have the MHZS CD88E and love it. Nice tube sound. They also have the CD33E and CD66E models. They come in black or silver. The MHZS units are built in the same factory with the Shanling units and they seem to be heavy, well built, quality units...

I have had good luck with the Chinese vendors on the bay, but as always look at their feedback and go from there.

Jim

Thanks for the information. Not sure I can do Chinese as a high-end piece?
I am looking...but:scratch2:
Same question with the Melody.
George

I've had several CD players where I bypassed the final stage and put in a tube buffer stage.

Went back to listening to vinyl.

Was it better? Yes.
Was it worth the trouble? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom