Tube DAC or Tube Amp

I've found a tube amp will give you the biggest tube flavor, over a pre-amp or DAC. That's where I'd spend my money if I was forced to choose.

So at this point I have come to the conclusion my next purchase will be a tube amp. Now i need to do some research to decide what to go with.
If I go with a tube amp do i need to go with a tube pre-amp? Maybe a Fisher receiver would be a good choice. Seems like Ill need some luck with that search!

Thanks for the help.

I drive my tube amp with a Sansui receiver ... sounds choice!

PS - Best option is a receiver that has a pre-out. My receiver doesn't have one, so I just have the amp chained into a tape loop along with my other post processors. I'm able to do that using a "Y" connection at the amp that allows me to close the loop back to the receiver - this also allows you to still use the internal amps maybe in another room.

Which brings me to a fine choice in amps if you're handy with the basics and can follow directions. The Latino ST120 kit amp is good for 60+ watts per channel and will set you back around $1500 ready to rock. It's a Dynaco clone built like a tank with some major improvements that gets rave reviews - including mine. Mine is a custom build with a few more bells and whistles and a custom case, but the basic out of the box amp will outperform a lot of much more expensive options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom