Admin
Sponsor
Subscriber
Trying to find a new tube pre amp. These are my requirements

New and not used
Zero feedback
No XLR's
Must be tubed
Budget is open but for now lets just say no 10K suggestions please.

Got any ideas ? Thanks

Grumpy

Juicy Music BlueBerry Xtreme II

Phono and line stages with optional LOMC phono input
4 AUX inputs plus tape loop
Zero feedback Class A Triode circuitry
3-way ganged volume, balance and amplifier sensitivity controls
Massive Tube Rectified Power Supply
Remote Control

http://www.juicymusicaudio.com/spec1.html

I've been considering a JuicyMusic Peach preamp, has anyone heard this unit?

How about a Manley Shrimp?

http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/shrimp.html

I think that meets all your requirements, and I like their products very much.

and some others, but I don't know that much about them
the Unison Research C5P, I do know someone with a performance integrated, and he likes it alot so this might be worth a try...
Primaluna Prologue 3 (or four)...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Why zero feedback?

Because I prefer the sound of a zero feedback to the others.

Thanks for the JM suggestions but the pre I am looking for is to replace an extreme.

Grumpy

Well, you know I recommend this one but I need to post more:

An Audible Illusions M3A

M3A_p9140424.JPG

BTW this thing has a Subsonic filter that may cure your woofer pumping I bet:yes:

Jeff

Or how about one of these?:

pre50_180w.jpg

A VTL 5.5 with optional MM/MC phono board. I was looking to listen to one of these prior to my AI purchase....couldn't find one. A lot of folks really like this pre. The real question...how much is it?

Jeff

Do you want a phono input, or are you looking for a linestage to use with your existing phono stage?

Could change reccos if phono not the top priority.

Just wondering

I wont fib, that Cary caught my eye and is darned attractive. Gotta love the lines on that one. The specs are as pretty as the physical side too.

Been very pleased with the BAT VK-30 I've been using. Has two sets of XLRs on the input (easy enough to use XLR/RCA adapters) as well as three sets of RCAs. One set of XLRs and one set of RCAs on the output, as well as a set of RCAs for the tape monitor on the output. Fully remote capable and programmable through the remote. 120-step resistive (Vishay) resistor network on the volume pot. Available up grade on the output coupling caps. This is the older model with the set of three (3) 6922s in each channel, which allows for easy tube rolling. Has an available solid-state phono board if you are so inclined. Is an also excellent, with its own power supply and user configurable for both gain and loading. The latest version is the VK-32. If were me and I wanted to buy new, I'd go for the VK-32 with the Six-Pak output caps, remote and built-in phono stage. Allows for the best tube-rolling. http://www.balanced.com/ If you are going for the 'big money', then leave out the internal solid-state phono stage and get their stand-alone tube PK-V5 phono stage.

I've been considering a JuicyMusic Peach preamp, has anyone heard this unit?

I have one presently and frankly love it. Sadly, I will probably have to sell it soon due to moving, but I'm trying to avoid that for as long as I can get away with keeping it. I originally bought it to prevent myself from spending time on DIY ventures. It is built very well, filled with nice parts, looks great, and does not sound overtly tubey or colored -- which I really like. Just natural, relaxed, and quite detailed.

I especially like the fact that it lets you run tube amps from the high impedance out, and can switch to the low impedance out for driving the occasional solid state amp. Both output options sound comparably good.

If you do consider one, let me know if you need any tube advice. Mullard 6922/E88CCs are my personal favorite by a good margin, but they might not be for everyone (a bit dry and bright). Tungsram and Siemens are quite nice too. I've had less luck with Amperex, due to either noise or dull sound. (Good sound = prone to noise, bad sound = dead quiet :sigh:)

There is also a new version coming out soon, which uses 6N30P instead of 6DJ8/6922 for the main gain stage.

It's not tubed, which may remove it from consideration, but how about a passive preamp? Your digital front end would have no problem with driving one, but it might be an issue with your phono preamp (i'm not sure what you use).

Thought about passive but I have yet to play with one for any length of time.

A few Thoughts

I have heard the DeHavilland pre-amp on a few occasions. Forget the model #, but it has always been a fine performer.

The Modwright 9.0 is also a highly regarded pre-amp. Both of these units are not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination.

I have owned the Audible Ilusions 3A, and its a workhorse. Unfortunately the manufacturer has a tarnished reputation regarding service turn around times. That may be a factor sometime.

I have reviewed the Maple Tree Audio 2SE. Its a great value. I think the 5SE would be a winner also.

I also understand the Eastern Electric Minimax makes a fine budget pre-amp. I would consider auditioning one myself.

Regards
Mister Pig

Appreciate the suggestion. Are any of them zero feedback ?

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom