Tube pre amp recomendations

I have heard the Dehav but only on with their accompanying amps. Sadly the chances of finding one to audition in my home before purchase is near impossible. That in itself takes it off my list... :(

DeHavilland pre amps are zero neg feedback.

so are the manleys...

I do know Monarchy Audio made a tube pre too (model 9 or so?), no negative feedback at all, and good sounding, but I don't know if it's still in production...
most of their products are SS though, but they're famous for their tube-like sound...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Be careful about Rogue I heard there in trouble and might close there doors. One option I thought of is Dodd is developing a pre that he is bringing to market for $1100. Second option is an Audio Research lots of classic designs in the used market by them. Thirdly why not also consider an Audio Note? Just thought I'd throw these three out there.

PS Audio Space has many nice Pre's at Gini.com

Heard both good and bad about Mod wright stuff. Rogue seems to be going strong.

I have plans to try a Rogue and possible the AR SP16

I second that, been using a Joule LA-100 MK.III for a while now and absolutely love it. It's an all tube design (except for HV rectification) that I believe meets all your criteria.

I'll be posting a review of mine here soon but in a nutshell it has lived up to the hype and good reviews I've read, really elevating my system to another level. I'm pretty happy with the phono-stage I use now but after living with this line amp I'd LOVE to hear the Joule-Electra phono stages as well.

The logistics would be a bitch but maybe we could arrange some way of getting mine down to you for a listen?

I know, but didja ever think you'd see that quote.

Maybe I should make a T-shirt for AKFest????????..............:lmao:

Hi Dave,

I'm going to give you the same advice that you recently offered someone else: Wait until you've heard some of the new stuff at AK-Fest this year before making a decision!

And yes, I've got an agenda here... :naughty:

Cheers,
Brian

Grumpy the best sounding preamp I have heard under $10,000 and is very highly recomended is the Audio Valve Eclipse $4,200 .It dosent get better than this It compares to Audio Notes M7.and higher so it is truly amazing I heard one in Deet's sound room it is his most popular seller now.you can read about ir in Stereophile August 2007.don't buy a pre amp till you audition this one or youll kick your self.mabey Brian can give you feed back or find one for you.

I can vouch for the Audio Research SP16. Superb preamplifier for the money. Couldn't be happier with mine. Actually, it is the SP16L sans phono. Like Dave I already have a dedicated phono preamp (in my case, an Audio Research PH3).

The SP16 has all the fine qualities of tubes with modern conveniences such as remote control, noise free electronically controlled volume and source relay switching.

This unit has just been replaced with an hybrid model (the SP17). Watch out for some closeout specials!

Last edited:
Because I prefer the sound of a zero feedback to the others.

Thanks for the JM suggestions but the pre I am looking for is to replace an extreme.

Grumpy

I have a JM Peach, just curious why you're replacing the BB Extreme. What do you like/dislike about it?

Heard both good and bad about Mod wright stuff. Rogue seems to be going strong.

I have plans to try a Rogue and possible the AR SP16

The Rogue Hera is pretty amazing... but it does have XLR inputs and outputs, if that matters, really. No feedback, though!

Can't think of a better tube for a preamp though- the 6H30P is about the MOST LINEAR tube I have ever seen a curve chart for- it's even better then the 12B4A, which is SERIOUSLY SAYING SOMETHING!!

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Hera_Front.htm

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom