1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Tube production date (photo attached)

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by SaturationPt, Dec 7, 2018.

1. SaturationPt

SaturationPt Fickle Collector Subscriber

From my best guess this is a 3-digit date code, 19x3, 17th week? 1953? 5881.jpg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Tom Bavis

Tom Bavis Audiophool Subscriber

Probably. I've seen some '60s ones with 7-digit codes.

3. GordonW

GordonW Speakerfixer Subscriber

By the 1960s, most OEM's were obfuscating their date codes on tubes. A code that's directly readable in the open like that, is probably earlier.

That said- most OEM's didn't go to four-digit EIA date codes until the early 1970s. That's the case with transformers and speakers and such, in any case.

Regards,
    Gordon.

4. SaturationPt

SaturationPt Fickle Collector Subscriber

There's a pair on evilbay right now, brown base 5881s, have the same 3225730-3 ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tung-Sol-5881-Vintage-Vacuum-Tube-Brown-Base-Dual-Top-Getters-NOS-Test-98/173585857860?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 not affiliated) which I presume is wk 30 1957. Mine being the same boxes and missing the digit I thought would be earlier, as Tung-Sol apparently began stamping the date code on the glass at some point according to the "tube museum". Can anyone verify or dismiss this theory? Hoping I can index my tubes by year as I acquire them.