Tube question.. explain this to me

Grumpy

Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma
Staff member
Admin
Sponsor
Subscriber
Couple of tube questions here that will show my ignorance but whats the difference is between smooth plate and Ribbed plates. Can ya tell em apart by the actual plates inside. Was it just production dates or is there more. Which are better and why ?

Grumpy

Well I think it's just like with condoms. Some gals like the smooth and some like the ribbed....:eek:

Tubes.....:lmao:

Lefty

I think it's just production date. You'd need one of each to see the difference, but it's obvious then.

For Telefunken 12AX7s you just look at the plate inside the tube. The ribbed or ridge plate will look like a RCA grey plate. The smooth is the same color grey but the center of the plate is smooth top to bottom with no markings. I know of no other smooth plate 12AX7 but there is always the diamond on the bottom if the label has been smudged off.

Ok then what would these be

Just to add: When I went scouring about searching for info on AX7s, the consensus seemed to be that Tele smooth plates sounded the best. I never had ribbed plates to test against, but I did like how they sounded against RCA long black plates etc.

I don't know if they sound better or not. You would think that every other 12AX7 made had speed bumps put in their streets for some reason.

Guys

Thanks for all the help. Really I only asked about the "sound" difference only cuz they are for sale and i needed a bit of help in the pricing department. Honestly I could not care less if my Sherwood has Sovtek's or Tele's in it cuz I dont hear no difference but there are folks who do and they will pay for em. :D

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom