Tube Recommendation for (4) 12AX7 for Fisher 500c

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by Kevin Laman, Aug 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kevin Laman

Kevin Laman New Member

I just got a Fisher 500c, sounds great, but has four Russian made 12AX7 tubes in it. I want to replace with USA or European made tubes. I'm not up on the various versions and wonder if anyone can recommend which replacement tubes to buy.

Thank you

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

It probably came with Telefunkens, so you might want to check them out.

3. notdigital

notdigital AK Subscriber Subscriber

If those Russian tubes are Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes, keep a couple for the phono stage. They're very quiet and a very suitable tube for that section. Like Andy said, in the early years Fisher stocked most all units with Tele's which is the go to tube for many folk still. A bit pricey but hey.....

In the end, only your ears matter.

RUmad and Andyman like this.
  4. robert_kc

robert_kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to AK.

Which Russian 12AX7s are currently installed?

Why do you want to change?

5. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

FISHER also used SYLVANIA 12AX7's in Later Runs. A lot less expensive than TELE's, and less contentious.

432HzBob likes this.
  6. Kevin Laman

Kevin Laman New Member

The current tubes are JJ/TAD(Chicom)/Electro-Harmonix. I have been doing some reading on 12AX7 tubes...really interesting range of tubes
    and choices....at a price of course.....are used military12AX7 tubes worth a look?

432HzBob likes this.

7. notdigital

notdigital AK Subscriber Subscriber

Before you get lost down the tube rabbit hole, I'd encourage you to read up on 500c/800c restorations. Running your receiver on primo tubes won't do the receiver justice if the unit itself is sub par. Knock out the basics THEN run good tubes. You and the receiver will be happier for it.

To answer your question: I like sylvania 12ax7's (and they made a lot of military tubes.) Don't know why tho. I think it's because of the typical high gm so I don't mind chewin' them up. But unless you want to end up with a box of 20-30 various 12ax7 tubes, I'd zero in on a few mullards and teles for now if you got the scratch. If you want new, try the Gold Lions made in Russia, NOT the Chinese Gold Lions. Of course, a couple of LPS tubes unless you want to use the TADS in the phono stage. I've had JJ's die on me as well as Eh's. OK tubes but I avoid them for that reason.

Finally, I've learned that unless you listen to a receiver for a good while, you won't be able to discern any difference in rolling tubes. Bring it up to snuff, listen to what's in there now and roll a new pair in to see if there is a change. That test will really decide for you whether the cost of additional tubes is worth it.

Kevin Laman likes this.
  8. Kevin Laman

Kevin Laman New Member

Thank you very much. A very logical approach to picking tubes. I'm still reading about the different options. I tend to learn towards a few T and M tubes because
    that is what it most likely had oh so many years ago.

9. tubeactive

tubeactive AK Subscriber Subscriber

Fisher usually used Tellees and Amperex 12AX7/ECC83s. Certainly, Telefunkens would be the "reference sound" from our era. Then again, there are some good sounding modern tubes to consider. Also to consider is that many/most modern tubes will not fit under the original tube shields easily. I can enjoy the Sovtek LPS, but their fat glass and slightly wider pins can become destructive to vintage sockets. BTW, new sockets are not any better than old. In fact, the new foreign sourced sockets are known to give trouble quickly. We all know that old stock tubes and sockets are almost as old as we are, but the old signal tubes are usually still kicking well. Output tubes are another story, but good vintage units might like good, vintage signal tubes...

432HzBob likes this.
  10. 432HzBob

432HzBob AK Subscriber Subscriber

I mix and match in my Scott.
    Telefunkens you can;t really go wrong they do everything well.
    Amperex I have come to enjoy as well.
    Some of the NOS Russian milspec tubes I have started to roll and like as well.
    But for top to bottom "can;t go wrong" tubes I'd say Telefunkens.

11. larryderouin

I've got Tele's in one 800, and Sylvania's (not JAN or Mil Spec) in the other. Put them side by side on the same speakers (one at a time) and I cannot hear a difference between them. Both have been restored and one has EH 7591's while the other has Tung-Sol Re-Issues for output tubes.

12. Kevin Laman

Kevin Laman New Member

Is there any difference with the MilSpec/JAN Sylvania's?

13. larryderouin

Other than uprated parts internally, not really. They're supposed to last longer tho.

14. robert_kc

robert_kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

FWIW, after tube rolling, here's what I decided for my Fisher 500C:
    • V14, V15: Tung-Sol new production (Russia)
    • V12, V13: Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 / ECC83 / B759 gold pin (Russia) Phase splitter & driver
    In general, here's my assessment from a few years ago of some current production 12AX7: best new production 12ax7?