Tube socket soldering tip?

mikeri

:

What is the proper way to solder a lead of a component that passes thru/jumpered between 2 pins on tube socket? Do you slightly bend the pin to make contact with the lead?

Or is it best to snip the lead and make a proper mechanical joint rather than "passing thru"?

I personally am in the situation when I want to remake the connexion between pins 4&5 triode 1 and triode 2 heaters of a 12AX7 tube socket.

That socket give me intermittent contacts troubles, and I think this may be because the sockets pins 4&5 are hard wired.

Thinking to replace the hard and short wire by a longer U shaped wire (from a low wattage resistos), so the wire could be a little more flexible for the tube pins to adjust in the socket.

And I want to insert a tube prior to make solder, so everything is in the right angle when the tube is inserted after.

You can make a pass thru or everything you feel confortable with.

I try to tighten my sockets contacts using a needle now, not easy with 9 pins ceramic sockets.

Last edited:
I just loop the lead through. It ends up with a bend around the terminal that holds it fine. I've seen that used on lots of vintage gear, so I figured it must be good enough.

Strip the wire long enough to make the bridge, loop it through one of the pins, crimp it tight to both sides of the pin, run it over to the other pin, and solder. And ya ... leave a bit of slack between the pins for flex, although I wouldn't expect any amount of tube rolling to stress the connections.

If you're worried about shorting the bridge, cut a piece of the insulation you stripped and slide it back on the wire after wiring the first pin.

Back
Top Bottom