Tube v. SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why guitar amplifiers are often full range or have tweeters. This makes them sound better. The classic guitar amplifiers did not cut frequency response at some mythical level. Humans can perceive sound above 20 kHz, and many musical instruments emit sound up to 40 kHz.
I don't know where you have an idea guitar amp use tweeter. You even know what you are talking or just arguing?
I have never seen a guitar amp with tweeters - and I've seen a lot of guitar amps. When I've encountered guitar amps being run into full range PA cabs (with tweeters) they've always sounded awful.
JBL's guitar speakers are labelled as "extended range" but I couldn't find any reliable data as to what the range is. I doubt it goes to anything like 20kHz. All the classic Celestion guitar speakers go up to about 5kHz.
https://celestion.com/product/1/vintage_30/
Why not respond with science and engineering, not engage in ad hominem attacks.
Ad hominem attacks are not ideal but some statements are so so bombastic and plain wrong as to invite them.
Some of the odd order harmonics produced by instruments are unpleasant, but the even order ones are nice. Classic full-range drivers (Electro-Voice, JBL, University, etc.) are often used in guitar amplifiers for this reason. The amplifiers are not necessarily cut of at 5 kHz.
This spec sheet from Electro Voice states the frequency response as "80-5000Hz".
http://pdfasset.owneriq.net/f/75/f7.../f75c2e60-a0c9-4b36-ad81-625bb0af689c-bg1.png

Also worth mentioning, even order harmonics are largely cancelled out with push-pull amp topology so this may not even be a valid argument once we leave the realm of the Fender Champ and similar single ended designs.

I have never seen a guitar amp with tweeters - and I've seen a lot of guitar amps. When I've encountered guitar amps being run into full range PA cabs (with tweeters) they've always sounded awful.

It was specifically requested that this not be further discussed so I'm not responding.

Why are we talking about guitar amps, OP wanted to know what he'd need to run DQ-10's for music reproduction.
My comments/opinions should not be taken as the last word. However, I'm the only one who has offered any real experiences driving DQ10 with both SS and Tube amplification. Arguing about other topics is counter productive at best.

To the OP read my post again then decide which route to take. My best advice is to, if possible, try both then make up your own mind. If that's not possible you will likely be better off using the highest power SS amp you can afford.

This misconception is unfortunately possessed by many guitar amplifier builders who do not understand harmonics...
Just because people on the internet mindlessly repeat dogma doesn't mean science is suspended.
BTW, that sounds a bit like an ad hominem attack to me. Strange how you ask for engineering facts and then clam up when presented with data sheets and graphs.

However, I'm the only one who has offered any real experiences driving DQ10 with both SS and Tube amplification. Arguing about other topics is counter productive at best.
Yes. sorry for pursuing the off-topic posts but I think grossly erroneous statements should be challenged so as to prevent the spread of misinformation.

At 30 continuous watts, the 50 wpc amp will be clipping, probably.

Then it either very poorly designed, malfunctioning or not properly rated, or any combination of the three.

As to the main topic, my opinion is that SS is generally better suited at handling the duress of high current demands than tubes. Given the low impedance swings of the speakers, their relatively low sensitivity and especially the relatively high cost of tube equipment compared to solid state of similar power (not to mention the costs associated with tube replacement), I'd think a good robust Direct Coupled SS amplifier would probably work best with the DQ10.

It's also important to note it's well know that loudspeakers distortion increases with SPL (volume) level.

If amplification equipment is known high quality, performing to spec and not being overdriven, it's highly likely any noticeable distortion is due to the speakers - not the amplifier - at higher volume levels.

Another shit flinging fest comes to a close....some members here might consider in the future that their actions may get them banned!
To those who know who they are...consider this a warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom