tube Watts vs. SS Watts?

If you can hear anything besides the source of the music, something is wrong. That is the superiority of solid state.
Just the facts.
If you change a tube and can hear a difference, the gear is getting in the way of the music.
If you have a 'noise floor' you have a problem.
If you cannot play your stereo loud and soft, and it doesn't sound good all round, you have a problem.
If all you get is great midrange, you have a problem.
With my solid state stereos, I hear what is on the music, the gear I shouldn't hear.
I suppose tube gear is OK for fun and games, and fooling yourself that you're hearing great sounds.
I've spent my money getting gear that flat-out gets out of the way between me and the reproduction of the source of music.

Oh, my goodness!

That was rather one-sided, don'tcha think? Isn't this supposed to be about dialog and discussion and the sharing of opinions? Your post was "I'm right and you're wrong".

"If you can hear anything besides the source of the music, something is wrong. That is the superiority of solid state. Just the facts."

Here's the facts: No electrical/mechanical system reproduces the sound of the original music. None. Period. It attempts to reproduce what was engraved on the grooves of a vinyl disc, or what was etched onto a plastic disc, which was generated by an electrical device, which was driven by an electrical/mechanical microphone. If you think that that doesn't even matter, much less that it somehow matters less than what device provides gain in an amp, you're being naive. Even if you don't play the piano, if you've ever banged your fingers down on a piano, if you've ever heard a piano played live, then you can't deny the truth: a $500,000 stereo system can't reproduce that sound. It might get pretty close.

It. Will. Never. Sound. The. Same.

Not a tube system, not a SS system, not until the speaker enclosure includes four foot long steel strings and felt-padded wooden hammers.

"If you change a tube and can hear a difference, the gear is getting in the way of the music."

Two responses to that one:
1. Since the sound coming from the speakers is not the sound made by a violin, but the sounds made by electrical components and mechanical devices, it is a matter of opinion whether or not any change makes the sound "closer" or not to the end goal.
2. If you change a transistor/capacitor/resistor/inductor/transformer/cable in a SS amp, and you can hear the difference, the gear is getting in the way of the music. The entire purpose of circuit design is to attempt to identify the components, AND THEIR VALUES, that will generate the desired output. Since every component, including transistors and every other component in a transistor amp, is manufactured to specific tolerances, which tend to be pretty wide, changing ANY component in ANY amp will change the sound. It might be noticeable, it might not. Some folks might think the change is an improvement, some might not. Tubes from different manufacturers, each of which follow specific tolerance guidelines, are no different than any other component.

"If you have a 'noise floor' you have a problem."
If the noise floor is below the range of human hearing, what you hear is dead black silence, and I don't believe that's a problem. Doesn't your statement apply to good design in all amps, and not just tubes? Or are you implying that all ss gear, by definition, has no noise floor?

"If you cannot play your stereo loud and soft, and it doesn't sound good all round, you have a problem."
I thought this was why people like tube gear!!!!!

"If all you get is great midrange, you have a problem."
Yes, you do have a problem. It's a speaker problem.

"With my solid state stereos, I hear what is on the music, the gear I shouldn't hear."
No, what you hear is what's on the CD, after it comes through all your gear, and after it comes through the cones on your speakers.

"I suppose tube gear is OK for fun and games, and fooling yourself that you're hearing great sounds."
Ok, now that's just plain rude.

I just told my wife: "I don't believe it...a flame on AK!!! I have no choice but to defend my honor!" She said: "Be nice, now".

Yes, dear!

Ok, Pete, here's the bottom line, and yes, I'm smiling as I write this!

When transistors replaced tubes in the late '60's, there is no question that part of the reason was that they were new, and cool, and space-age, and high-tech, and all the usual reasons why the new replaces the old, and they sounded a little different, which their supporters described as "better". When tubes began a resurgence, it was because it was cool, and trendy, and high-end,and they sounded a little different, and their supporters described it as "better".

All that shows is that what's old is new again.

Trying to categorize the sounds of one vs the other as "better" is exactly the same as insisting that sausage is better than pepperoni. It's utterly pointless, of course, because it is a matter of personal opinion. Except, of course, guys who don't think tall, curvy long-haired brunettes are the best are morons.

I assure you, there are no scientific test instruments that place one microphone in front of the violinist, one microphone in front of the SS amp, and one microphone in front of the tube amp, and a scientist that looks at the control panel and declares, "Yup, the XXX amp is reproducing exactly the same sound as the violinist, and it's better than the YYY amp to boot!"

It is a matter of personal opinion. Which, of course, is exactly what you stated. It's just that you stated it as fact, and not as opinion.

Here's the bottom line: I like old English sports cars. Any car nut who restores a '62 Impala, and lets folks see it driving down the street all shiny and new, is my hero. Any piece of wonderful automotive design rescued from the crusher is a joy.

I like vintage vacuum tube gear. Any hi-fi nut who rescues an early '70's SS Sansui from the curb, cleans it up and refinishes the case, and plays it for guests who don't know much about that kind of stuff, and tells them "this is what real music is all about", is my hero. Any piece of wonderful audio design rescued from the dumpster is a joy.

There's room for everyone here, and the discussion needs to be open and welcoming, not closed and confrontational.

And now, on to better things! I did the grocery shopping this week, and I bought a jar of chipotle pepper stuffed olives, and I think I'll have myself a martini!

Ciao,
Clay

ya know, if I didn't type 60 wpm, this would have been a lot shorter! Sorry!

Interesting stuff:

As far as resistive load, I have scores of 50W Dale 10Ohm resistors. Enough for a few KW load, but I've never hooked it all up. Still on the card. Your can get this stuff for dirt on eBay if you keep your eyes open. They aren't non-inductive, but speaker loads are plenty inductive, so I'm not terribly sure this is a bad thing.

Bully: I tip my hat. I'm not quite as absolute, but darn close. People who listen to real music realize you need and amp that'll go balls to the wall to get close to real world dynamics. The jazz clubs I like to frequent are enough to make your head spin sometimes if a brass band is playing, unamplified. And tubes get real expensive real fast to do that on anything but a pair of AvanteGard speaks (or maybe some old Sansuis? I've got a pair of vintage Corals that are quite similar in concept and 102dB efficient!) Unless you're a big fan of solo violin all day..

Clay: oooo ???? .... **** I'm speachless - I'm out of breath :rockon:

Bully is a die-hard SS guy, no doubt about it. Glad to have him here in the discussion even if he kinda put-down the tube guys. Hope they all don't see this and wander over from their forum because I think there's quite a few of them now :p:

About the only thing you may have missed is that transistors became popular overnight because they only required a measly 0.7V to kick that junction into life and thereby gave the baby-boomers their first truly portable audio equipment. I bought my first transistorized radio back in '57 and was amazed that it ran on two little batteries.

BTW, how was that Martini? My favourite is the distant cousin to the 'original' Martini - Vodka on ice (potato-based, of course) and VERY distant from the Vermouth :D

Cheers!

Paul

Hi Paul,

I really need to control myself a little better! Once I get going, fingers flying over the keyboard...sigh. :eek:

I just bought a copy of the 1959 Allied catalog, with the Knight-Kit two-transistor portable radio, the first soldering I ever did. Got a six-transistor for Christmas the following year. Still have them both! Listening to all the new rock-n-roll radio stations on the earphone under the covers late at night, listening to the White Sox games back before the American League decided the game of baseball wasn't good enough anymore...oh oh!!

I feel another rant coming on!

The martini was terrific! Good thing I didn't have it before I started my post last night! :D

Coffee's done, got my newspaper, I'll check back later!

Clay

Recently I heard my Dad blathering away with some old Geezer on the Internet about why his tube audio equipment was so much better than his Solid State equipment. I was confused about what Solid State meant so I check with my Physics teacher and he said is was a Geezer’s way of talking about transistors. Now what’s with that?

I love my (are ya ready) Solid State walkman and my Solid State stereo (LOL). They are way cool and, like, make those ancient tube jobs seem like, well, really old. Really old!!

With Solid State stuff I can actually carry them around with me. Tube equipment weighs like, 1000 Lbs. What’s with that?

A lot of my favourite Solid State stuff works with batteries. Those old tube things require some sort of umbilical cord to hook them up to the wall. What’s with that?

Solid State stuff looks way cool. Hey. It is cool! Last week I burned my tush and wrecked my best thong on someone’s tube amplifier. My butt hurt for a week. Why do they allow such dangerous things anyway?

Solid State stuff makes great noise! I just love the sound of Evanescence on my super Bose speakers my Dad bought for me. He said they were made just for us teenagers. Yesterday some old geezer Dad of a friend of mine played some dance stuff (LOL) on his gi-normous tube amplifier stuff (he called it a home theatre – but there was no concession stand or nothing – what’s with that?) and he has these truly ugly funnel-like speakers – like I mean these were really ugly – and they were as big as a Honda. They sounded like a Honda too (LOL).

How come they still use tubes anyway?

DiddleHead

Hmmmm........ I am sticking my tongue firmly in my cheek Pete. However, I am also wondering why if the SS equipment doesn't get in the way anybody would need more than one system? Even if you needed to have 12 different stereo set-ups, wouldn't you just need 12 of the one that you feel doesn't get in the way of the music? I am wondering if you have ever set up a system and thought. Wow, this system does things that the other set-up didn't. Uh, and before you answer....... I'll look up a few of your posts. Now I am pulling my tongue out of my cheek and sticking it out :p:

Wow, lots of stuff to answer;

Paul, the scope should show a square wave out, as nearly like the original as possible, not a triangular or sawtooth wave.

Ss vs bottles - near as I remember the first SS designs did not get the switching quite right (unless you spent big $$) and it was crossover distortion that made it "distinctive".

For myself I am more at home with tube theory than SS, but a good tube system sells for more than I care to spend. getting tubes of certain types is hard, but so is getting the correct outputs for a vintage SS is no picnic either.

Marrying equipment - must agree, it is simply that certain combos click where others don't. The Yamaha CR-1020 in my avatar has a happy marriage with my Polk Model 7s.

Just sold a CR-840 to a chap in New York with Large Advents. He emailed me that the sound is marvelous. It was a unit that I had veneered in walnut and he said he was giving it a coat of wax and his wife asked if he bought it to listen to or fondle.:)

My own CR-840 seems to have settled down happily with the Advent Graduates I restored, so I guess the EPIs will go to our son and his wife along with a CR-620 as a bedroom system.

To me the simple fun of this is taking a piece of vintage equipment that has seen neglect or abuse and restoring it to its former glory, there has to be satisfaction in that.

Rob

Paul-
"Solid State stuff makes great noise! I just love the sound of Evanescence on my super Bose speakers my Dad bought for me"

Maybe I will isolate and alienate myself by saying this but what is wrong with Evanescence?
The stuff they did before the album fallen is great, like missing, further away and many others.
I am just curious as my wife doesn't like the contrast of Amy lee's voice with the caucophany of metal music.
Is it the same for you or do you just really NOT like her voice?
I really enjoy Amy's voice, particularily when the only accompaniment is piano as many of their older stuff is.
Have you heard "My immortal"?
I think the next album will be better as the hard rock riffs were the handywork of guitarist BEn moody who has since left the band.
I am hoping for a more Tori Amos sound on the next album.

Anyway sorry for the hijack but I had to give my .02

Warmest wishes,
Tal

I like Evanescence.

That 'kid' DiddleHead wrote that stuff so you'll have to poke a stick into him/her/whatever :D

Really, it was all in fun. I thought that was obvious?

Paul

No I wasn't thinking it was in anything but fun but I really wondered if others have the same complaint that my wife has about the contrast betwixt her voice and the background music.

I truly think that in the future we will get some exceptional music from Amy Lee in that she is a "NEW" vocalist worth watching and listening to, She has really got some pipes.

Evanescence came to my town this summer and I think I was the oldest one at the concert, however this made it really easy to get to the front of the floor though...

As to the SS/ tube debate I have no input as I am still working on my poor man's piecemeal HI-Fi SS setup.

Someday..... I too will venture to the darkside.

Warmest regards,
Tal

Botrytis said: I am going to throw another curve here - what about digital amps? I have heard some of the Bel Canto Evo's 200.2's and they have an amazing sound. I know Bel Canto used to make tube equipment and now they are into digital amps with a ferocity.

Woa. Digital amps? Really? I'm going to have a look on their Web site. This is new stuff for me - I stay well away from my local Audio Stores. Back in a sec......

.... dum de' dum ...

OK, I had a look on their site and read through the literature about the Evo amps.

Initial impressions; Can you ever pay someone who knows that many buzz words enough?

I have to admit that I usually tune-out after the third round of Thesaurus-picking because it usually means they have little to say and a lot to hide.

But, in this case I'm intrigued. I am an electronics man, born and raised at IBM. Binary, Octal, Hex – heck I could add and subtract in all three without a calculator at one time. I was checking ‘bits’ way back in 1964!

It is not outside the possibility of some truth to their claims but – I need to see more technical documentation. As I said, I’m intrigued.

The funny thing about digital as an audio pipe-line is, in my opinion, it removes some particular problems with THD and IMD but introduces a whole new genre of issues including artifacts and band scatter, DAC and ADC functions and – well it’s just a digital minefield.

Also, as many of us who do computing near our audio gear will attest, digital signals, switching power supplies and modems etc. ….. all create an amazing array of LF and RF clutter that is just plain ugly to an audiophile.

But, I’m intrigued (already said that, didn’t I?).

Damn you, Botrytis. I was just getting comfortable with my Solid State stuff.

And, besides, at the end of this pipe-line you have to convert back to ANALOG!!! Yea.

Where do we go from here?

Paul

I suppose I should know more about this as the company where I work is a wholly owned sub of Texas Instruments and they are big in this area, probably have lots of stuff on their web page.

Rob

Rob: You should be able to score some really neat parts for our next DIY project; a digital quasi-tube amp where we fire-up the filaments for visual excitement but use IC's under the sockets for the high-quality sound associated with Solid State amplifier circuits :D

<<bob and weave.... bob and weave>>

This is fascinating! Apparently, edge harmonics play a big factor in this issue of the tube sound vs. the transistor sound.

Edge harmonics are typically the seventh, ninth and harmonics above the ninth which I always thought were essentially irrelevant. It has been believed that harmonics above the fifth played little part in the shape of sound. That may have been wrong.

According to this research, they may be the reason for this whole discussion.

I'm still reading!!

Paul

<still reading but...>

It seems to be the natural ability to compress the dynamic range in tubes that makes them sound ‘warmer’ and ‘clearer’.

Simply put, tube amplifiers are more forgiving as you reach saturation. They don’t overload sudden-like but gradually round-off the peak voltages. In fact, according to this research, excursions into the safe overload region of 15-20 dB increases the sound levels by only 2-4 dB meaning that the vacuum tube is a natural compressor!

Because you get louder without massive distortion you also get louder SOFT sounds creating a larger dynamic range that originally existed!

Fascinating.

Paul

Originally posted by ryanmh1
Interesting stuff:

Bully: I tip my hat. I'm not quite as absolute, but darn close. People who listen to real music realize you need and amp that'll go balls to the wall to get close to real world dynamics. The jazz clubs I like to frequent are enough to make your head spin sometimes if a brass band is playing, unamplified. And tubes get real expensive real fast to do that on anything but a pair of AvanteGard speaks (or maybe some old Sansuis? I've got a pair of vintage Corals that are quite similar in concept and 102dB efficient!) Unless you're a big fan of solo violin all day..

Hmmm...I somehow missed this thread. Although everyone pretty much covered everything I would have and more.

Ryan...just thought I'd welcome you to AK. Yeah, you got my attention talking about live Brass! I just love it! It's simply amazing what live bras will sound like in a smaller club...or in your home! Talk about dynamic extremes and tonal purity!

take care>>>>>>

Tubes vs. Solid State discussion paper

First, let me give credit to the author of this very interesting study; Russell O. Hamm, New York, N.Y. The work was conducted in 1972.

As I continue my reading of this very interesting paper, another revelation comes to light; there are no fast transients in musical input. As he discovered, “…. an electronic synthesizer quickly proved that musical instruments do not produce fast pulses”. The measurements he made showed that there were no transients generated by any musical instruments with an attack (rise-time) greater than 5 ms. Decay times typically measured 300 ms. Staccato notes on a trumpet measured only 12 ms. He went on the postulate that “.. rise times of these orders cannot be considered pulses for audio amplifiers with a passbands extending to 20 kHz or better”.

What this seems to suggest is that audio amplifiers do not need significantly fast rise times and music does not contain any significant pulses that might affect audio output quality.

Interestingly, the shape of the waveform of each of these three types of amplifiers (tube, solid state and op-amps) driven into overload are not identical and, as his investigations later show, may be the clue as to why each has a different sound quality. The most ‘square’ of the over driven amps is the op-amp. Next is the solid state amp with a slightly rounded rise shape and the least square is the tube amp. Hmmm, interesting?

More to come. Stay tuned.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom