Tubed Digital DAC Blast

dosmalo

T-Totaled
Some of you good people may already realize what a luddite I am. I usually find something I like and stick with it until the ever lovin' end. My digital front has for a long time been an Audio Alchemy top load Digital Drive Transport with Digital Drive Controller. Again, I like top loaders.
I've been using the AA DTI 2.0 into an AA DDE 3V DAC for all these years without a hitch. I know for a fact its ancient tech but, hell, it is serving the purpose and this stuff is obviously built to last with just a little care.
Some time ago I was going thru a tubed headphone phase but the kicker is, I hardly ever listen with phones. Every time I do the girls start barking like someone's beating on the door or the house is on fire, I get all paranoid and I like to hear the sound interact with the room anyway. So phones just aren't for me but I couldn't quit buying the head amps!DAC tubes 009.jpg DAC tubes 006.jpg DAC tubes 001.jpg DAC tubes 007.jpg
Anyway, I ordered this cute little tubed headphone amp from China a couple of years ago and just loved the way it looked. Little bugger is rather heavy, made quite well and even has a pass thru and can be used as a pre. I love my little Dared pre cause I like a remote so I just kept the Chi unit sitting in the shelves just to look good.
Got a hare a few days ago that maybe I could use it as a "tubed buffer" between the AA stuff and my Dared pre. A few days of grunting and groaning rearranging things and cutting and resoldering ICs to fit and I was done.
DON'T SOUND BAD AT ALL!! Little Chi bugger even has a little meter too lol! Hey, I'm tubed and down with it and wanted to share!

Back
Top Bottom