Tubed Preamp Opinions for Marantz System

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews & Opinions' started by TDTM, Dec 12, 2017.

1. TDTM

TDTM New Member

Hey guys.

I'm looking to add a tubed preamp into my setup. Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated! My max budget is around the $350 mark.

My current setup is: Marantz 6370Q > Marantz 2270 > Marantz HD-880. Right now, I have a Shure V15 Type IV cart, but I plan to swap that for an Ortofon 2M Blue.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bodyblue

Bodyblue AK Subscriber Subscriber

Why do you want one? That is not a snarky question at all. Tubes are a can of worms that a lot of people get into then wonder why a year later. Some get them and love them, but they need a lot more attention to keep sounding great than solid state. Your Marantz is already a very warm sounding rig and with the HD880s I cant see how the tubes would improve the sound. They will change the sound somewhat but it wont be like flipping a switch and a new world will open up.

3. Chrisxo55441

Chrisxo55441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

the 2270 has an excellent phono stage but you could try a tube phono pre maybe i find that they add a little more warm tube sound to my SS gear including my 2270

4. jetstream

jetstream Active Member

5. mcgarick

mcgarick Well-Known Member

That auction site...Douk audio, WADA JAPAN preamp 177.00 plus 40 shipping.

I bought one, its fantastic.

mjw21a likes this.
  6. mjw21a

mjw21a Super Member

One of the Audionote Kondo KSL-M77 kits off eBay would be fantastic as well. ;)

Please register to disable this ad.

7. david1111

david1111 Active Member

This is way late to the discussion, but mating a tube pre to an SS amp adds a lot to the overall sound of your system. Musicallity, sound stage, warmth, realistic instrument sound and timbre, just to name a few.
    I highly recommend a used YS-Audio Symphonies tube preamp (which is in your price range), and roll in some Gold Lion ECC83/B759 premium tubes. You'll be amazed!
    And carts don't get much more musical than the Shure V15-IV, but I've heard good things about the Ortophons. Particularly the black.
    Anyway, good luck.

Dave

8. mjw21a

mjw21a Super Member

Mmmm, a Supex SD900 Super is far more musical than a V15....

9. david1111

david1111 Active Member

I'll do a bit of research on the Supex. I have to admit, I haven't actually heard a lot of different carts, mostly older ones like ADC XLMs and other Shures. I was really going off of what others have said, plus my own.
    So thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.
    Is the Suprex around the same cost as a vintage V15-IV?

Dave