Tubes and system synergy

There's more to tubes than mass-market imported tube gear.

How far warm of neutral are your setups would you say?

I like my PP setups to be able to equally dish Mahler, MIA and Metallica, Delius and Dead Can Dance, Beethoven, Beck and Jeff Beck, Callas and Coldplay, Pavarotti and Porcupine Tree, plus whatever the kids have on their phones.

Last edited:
My system doesnt necessarily sound warm; fast, thick, and airy would probably best describe it. My Benchmark DAC1 is very well known to be an analytical sounding DAC, its characteristics match that of my SET very well. For shits and giggles, I hooked my DAC to my NAD C350, definitely not a good match, it resulted in a very bright sound, not good with horns.

There's more to tubes than mass-market imported tube gear.

Indeed, but in the end, we have to go with what we can afford. In my experience, in the under $1000 category, you wont find many PP amps than can convey the SET magic. I have ~$700 into my amp, the majority of that being the output transformers and tubes, the rest of the stuff was a drop in the bucket in comparison.

Mass market Chinese SET amps can be surprising good. The Dared 2a3c SET ( in my earlier post ) is not far behind these 2a3 Bottleheads which in kit form is double the price.

picture.php

Mass market Chinese SET amps can be surprising good. The Dared 2a3c SET ( in my earlier post ) is not far behind these 2a3 Bottleheads which in kit form is double the price.

I was always interested in the Dareds, but never read too much about them. However, what I did read about them, was all good :yes:

The Chinese Dared 2a3c is much better looking that the homespun Bottleheads. At 6moons they use one as the house amp.

picture.php

For new production gear, I agree. This is the Modern Day Hifi forum after all.
I don't have to like it though.
One thing I find disturbing is that some new gear from overseas is less expensive than the price of quality parts and shipping that I will use use in a careful quality vintage gear restoration. Good thing it's only a hobby.

Don,

I'm itching to hear those Dynaco modified mono blocs.

Not a modern amp, however those mod kits are modern.

Since they're updated, retrofitted and installed, I guess we could call them retro-modern.

My system is modern...aside from my speakers. My amp may look vintage, but all of its parts are new production aside from the rectifier and driver tube ;)

Oh. I was looking at your sig. I am looking at the 1072 Rotel amp. Yes good to see you too!

Ah, that's my CD Player, not an amp. I do still have the Stratos but that basically just fills a hole in the rack anymore. Good solid amp but lacks the refinement of the Counterpoint.

The Chinese Dared 2a3c is much better looking that the homespun Bottleheads. At 6moons they use one as the house amp.

picture.php

I run a Dared SL2000a preamp in my second system. This is a VERY good sounding pre that responds well to tube rolling. It gets even better with quality NOS tubes. I wouldn't mind trying that amp, knowing how good my preamp is.

I'm currently using the Dared to power some Tekton/Fostex speakers with S.O.T. compression horn tweeters paired with a JVC digital amp driving Eminence Alpha bass woofers in an "I" frame baffle.

I was not impressed with the Dared until I switched it's cheap Chinese 6N3 tubes to NOS WE 2C51. What a huge difference.

The driver tube makes the biggest difference in my experience. In my SET, I tried out the RCA 5691 and the Tung Sol 6SU7GTY...while theyre great tubes in their own respect, Ive had far more joy from the Sylvania tall bottle 6SL7GT with black plates. Its 1/4 the price of the RCA and Tung Sol, and has a much more airy and intricate sound :yes:. Rolling coupling caps can also make a difference. I went from Orange Drops, to K40Y-9s, to Jensen copper foils with a marked increase in sound quality along the way. Ill say though, the K40Y-9s are great caps. While they dont sound as good as the Jensens, the Jensens definitely dont sound $30 better than the Ruskies. Heres my system as it is now. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=5308384&postcount=48

Last edited:
I'm currently using the Dared to power some Tekton/Fostex speakers with S.O.T. compression horn tweeters paired with a JVC digital amp driving Eminence Alpha bass woofers in an "I" frame baffle.

I was not impressed with the Dared until I switched it's cheap Chinese 6N3 tubes to NOS WE 2C51. What a huge difference.

I use a NOS Brimar 5Z4G rectifier and a pair of Raytheon 6414 Triple Mica black plates. I also alternate a pair of Mullard's and a pair of Psvane 12AT7's. All of these tubes sound great, but affect the sound differently. What tube combo sounds best to my ears usually depends on the amp that I pair up with the SL2000a.

Back
Top Bottom