1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Tuner choices - McIntosh, Sony, or Yamaha?

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by FauxHall, Jun 17, 2017 at 1:41 PM.

1. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

Got the tuner bug again. Going to sell my two Sonys - TA-SA5ES and TA-S3000ES. Both are "good enough" tuners but I can reach a little higher and match the other components a little better cosmetically.

Here's my thoughts:

1) McIntosh MR-74 - got a MA6200 to match and the MR74 is supposedly the best sounding solid state Mac.

2) Sony ST-5000FW - love the sound quality and the silver face will match my other Sony pieces.

3) Yamaha CT-7000 - a real physical beauty and sound quality is supposedly special.

RF signal is pretty good in my apartment and no adjacent or adjoining stations so RF performance not a big concern.

Opinions? Experiences?

2. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

I've owned several MR74s and I agree they do sound quite good. Currently, I have an MR75 which is a perfect match to the MA6200 and it sounds quite nice as well. MR77 is also a stellar performer. The MR78 & MR80 get all the press but you really can't go wrong with any of these.

Be sure and budget for a tune up and alignment with any vintage tuner.

3. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I see one CT-7000 in Ebay for $1120.

4. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

That is my specific inspiration

5. Punker X

Punker X AK Subscriber Subscriber

All those tuners would be good. The MR-74 would probably the most worry free. CT-7000 is prone to power supply issues due to heat and the Sony's MPX section and be difficult to source pesky coils that are prone to failure.

KentTeffeteller and FauxHall like this.
  6. bberkom

bberkom AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a Sony ST-5000FW, and it's a great tuner. I don't listen to a ton of radio, but I really enjoy the sound and looks of it. I replaced the power supply caps in mine for longevity, but the thing is built like a tank.

7. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 Lunatic Member

I am not a big Mac fan in general -- but they made some fine tuners.
    I use an MR-67 and I am very happy with it.

8. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

And of the McIntosh solid state tuners, the MR 74 is the best tuner they made for listening. It was designed by the McIntosh designers which did each stage best. It's very sensitive, has good selectivity, and maintainable. And worry free. Agree with Punker X here highly.

9. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

Just plotted the schematic for the CT-7000 and was delighted to find an internal switch to change de-emphasis. That saves a trip to the tech if I buy from the US.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017 at 5:44 AM