Tuner cord and pulley replacement. No alignment right?

VBB

So, I've read tons and tons on the subject, but still don't get it. I picked up a Luxman R1030 receiver for free, but the cord was broken and the big pulley at the tuner fins was missing. Just got a replacement and want to install.

Can't I just rotate the thing with the little fins all the way to one extreme, and put the needle all the way to one end of the dial, and route the cord appropriately? Then find a known station and fine tune the dial indicator to where it needs to be? It shouldn't need an involved proceedure, right? Cuz the only thing that's moved is the dial indicator.

That's a good assumption, now if you get it back together and have trouble actually tuning in a station or no stereo on strong station, then go for an alignment.

Reactions: VBB
The pulleys have to all be original to the model. Then the dial string has to be strung correctly. Then dial in a known station on the left side of the dial. Move the pointer to the correct position on the dial, verify that it is pointing to the right spot on the dial for the selected station. Fix the pointer to that spot on the string. Then, dial in a known station on the right side of the dial. If the pointer is pointing to the right spot on the dial, you should be in pretty good shape, as long as stereo sensitivity, separation, and distortion seem good. Otherwise, you will need an alignment.

Good luck,
Rich P

Last edited:
Cool, thanks. Yes, the pulley and cord with the little spring, all came from the exact same model. And I think I have a good source showing the cord diagram. I'll give it a go!

I did a Sansui G-7500, the service manual gave directions. Start with var cap fins fully meshed. For a clue, look on the shaft of the var cap, it will probably have an indent where the set screw left its mark.
I have fined tuned them, by taking tension off and moving the pointer. Usually adjust at 98MHz or there about.

Once you get it strung correctly and get the variable cap to travel end to end. There should be marks on the scale at one end or the other. Maybe both. The pointer should be set at the end of travel at the calibration mark on the scale. Once physically set. Then your should have an alignment to calibrate the scale. Typically at 90 and 106Mhz.

Back
Top Bottom