Tuner hunt

rstsgsas

2much gear 2little time
I am in the hunt for either a Yamaha t-1.T-2 ,T-80,t-85 tuner and Am trying to decide which one .The t-2 would be my first choice but is it that much better than the t-1 for the extra money and is the t-80 or t-85 a better tuner than the T-1 or T-2.I would really like to stay in the analog catagorie to match the rest of my system.I have a ct-1010 tuner that is pretty good and I have used an sx-1250 tuner thru the preouts.Would I notice an upgrade worthy of spending the extra money?I know its alot of Questions but I would like better fm sound.I am staying in the Yammy line to match my c-4 pre amp,which is just plain excellent.

I like mine.

Its in a different part of my house and matches the ca-2010 its hooked too.I am looking for something to go with the brystons and c-4 pre-amp.Hope you get yours.I would go for the ct-1010 you have your eye on.You will not be dissappointed.

Bully

Do you know how the t-80 stacks up soundwise to the t-1 or t-2 and is it a analog only or mix of analog and digital?

I've not heard the T-1 or T-2. The T-80 sounds great, really natural with a solidity to the bass and airy treble up to the FM cutoff, and the mid range is very well defined. Does a very fine job pulling in stations, and discrimnating between stations. It is digital, though.
Heck, I'd sell one of mine.

Very tempting.

I saw a T-2 on ebay that went for $300 and the display did not work and it had no feet.Seemed crazy to me.

T-80 user here. Get one. You can't go wrong. It is digital, yes, but it has fine tuning controls to off-tune to enable you to get weaker stations; I do it quite often at my location. Very sensitive, too.

Highly recommended :thmbsp:

Tom

Last edited:
I have a T-1 that is my favorite tuner. I favor it over my Carver TX-11B and Pioner TX-8100. It will clearly pull in stations the others barely grab. Plus it just has a solid vintage look to it with a tuning wheel that feels like silk when you turn it. Highly worth it if you can find one. If you end up with one, let me know and I can send you a copy of the owners manual.

Regards,

Dave

I'd go along with the T-1 too, a very good tuner. If you're in a good signal area then there is not a lot to choose between the T-1 and T-2, but the T-1 does have a good AM tuner thrown in. Another Yammy model you might consider is the T-7. The memory presets work like a charm, great to see the tuning indicator motoring across the dial with its tuning lights going on and off. On the specs the T-1 and T-7 are practically identical; and in my experience sound pretty much the same. But whatever Yamaha model you get, they are all value for money.

Thanks guys

A fellow aker has offered up a T-1 tuner for me.I took him up on his offer.I will let you know what I think after trying it out.I might send it to Dewickt for a alignment in the near future .He is not too far away.We shall see.A T-2 would be nice also ,but prices are way up on those.Still would not pass on one for a decent price.

That makes two of us shopping for a T-2. I want to stay with analog and the black T-2 matches my CX-1/B-2 combo. I was going to bid on that T-2 with the bad display, but I thought even $200 was overpriced. Also would like to have a CT-7000 to compare to the CT-1010/CA-2010 pair. Unfortunately, the T-85, T-2 & CT-7000 are all great tuners and priced accordingly. Oh, well. Maybe we will stumble across one at the local flea market, or something.

Either one will be hard to get at a decent price,but it is possible.I missed a T-2 recently that went for 132.00 ,ended during the day.Sheeez.1 will come up.Hope we both do not have to fight over it.

Sometimes that doesn't work. I bid on one that was going for under $200. Put in my bid at $325 during a moment of extreme weakness :worried: . It sold for $372.50, IIRC. My guess is the one that went for $132 would have done something similar. We'll just have to keep watching. If you find first I'll stay out of the bidding.

Check out the Tuner Information Center.

As far as Tuners go of the Vintage Era Yammies, the T-1, T-2, and T-7 are excellent choices.

From reading, for the digital tuners, the T-80 is a good bet along with the 1000. The T-85 is better.

Now the big stuff.
The T-1 is huge. If you are changing stations at night, it is the most legible. If you loose that green booty in it, you are outta luck. The T-2 and T-7 are great; however, the T-2 is the Yamaha Reference for FM reception, period. Take a look at the number of tuning capacitor gangs. Nuff said.

The T-7, IMHO, is the best compromise of all. Not the best looker, definitely not the fattest, but it is A BETTER Performer than a T-1. The problem is getting a good example of one.

I obtained my second T-7 and loved every bit of it except that the battery backup was dead and could tell someone attempted something. Wierd that the original battery was in place, though, loosely. The tuning motor also whirred constantly. Going inside to check the voltages, I noticed by pure coincidence that the 2SD400 transistor was loose (hence all the questions EW, DA, ...). Touched it in place, it would stop and sonic nirvana. However, I could not turn the dang thing off! It's switch is bad--another one of those eprey deals (in defense, seller refunded 15 of the dollars). I then tried to remove the transistor from another T-7 that could not remember the presets when turned off for a while or that might, when left on, stop memory tuning. A quick turn on off would fix it.

When removing the transistor from another model, I botched the job with too much heat with those little truncated legs, I believe. Crappola.

One thing I learned is that when the tuner is memory tuning, the turn dial does not move, just the dial. My first one, the one from which I removed the transistor, would not spin both. Maybe the clutch was outta alignment or something. Dunno.

All in all, the T-7s are great if you can find a good example and replace that battery backup (I did on both already). Otherwise, if space were not a problem, I'd go with the T-1.

If money were not an issue, get the T-2 for sure, PERIOD. Well let me stop being absolute. Period if ya don't need AM.

One other caveat that I'll be modding to correct on the T-7 is that the tuning dial is not lit. Good luck at night. The presets help but aren't perfect at 5 per band. That's why I wanted 2 T-7s and a T-2 or T-1 for manual tuning. If I were lucky enough to get four of those puppies, I'd pair a T-7 and T-2 for preset tuning and reference listening respectively. I'd put the other T-7 and T-2 in the bedroom for preset tuning and manual tuning respectively.

I have too C-4s (who said the C-2, C-2A, or C-2X sound better?) that according to the specs are identical to the C-2A model. Sorry, been wanting to understand the canundrum on that topic. I guess you pay more for less? In the Audiophile world, the more minimal designs carry heftier price tags than models with more stuff (except for the C-1 which ain't minimalist at all!). Anyway, got the C-4s cause they would let me do more with vinyl. Didn't and still don't know much bout vinyl as just getting started, but those adjustments are far more variable in the C-4 than the C-2 family. At some time will sit down and look over the schematics. C-4=poor man's C-1.

Sorry bout the ranting. Not trying to steal thread.

Anyway, all are good tuners except for that OTS stuff inherent in Yamaha's separate tuners. I believe that in the T-2 may have the addition of a mono switch. It sure ain't there on a T-7. :worried:

If ya can get hold of a T-7 that performs stock, then that's the ticket! Got money and no need for AM, T-2. Like going big or have several stations and like AM too, T-1.

Back
Top Bottom