Tuner Newb Needs help

crackerkorean

Striving for Polymathdom!
I have a Rotel RT-1220 and its really scratchy. I imagine the inside of the tuner needs to be cleaned especially the really neat turny thing ( this is the device that does the actual tuning just not sure what its called)

How do I go about getting this thing in top shape?

The tuning capacitor is what you're thinking of, and it needs to be cleaned. If you look at it carefully you will see the fins are mounted on a shaft. Where the shaft goes through the metal chassis of the tuning cap, there are little flat brass contacts. The contacts and the place on the shaft that touches them need to be cleaned. First, blow the dust out of the tuner area with Dustoff. Vacuum the dust out of the rest of the unit, being careful not to bump any of the adjustment pots and coils.
Buy some contact cleaner that is residue free, and some De-Oxit. Give a very small squirt at the points where the contacts are, mentioned above. Work the tuning knob back and forth over the whole range of the tuner a bunch of times. Then let it sit and dry for about 10 minutes. Now apply just a drop of De-Oxit to the contacts. Do not spray it, you will get too much on, and it will affect the tuning and attract dust. Now work the tuning knob back and forth some more. This procedure may cause your dial calibration to change a little. Get back to me if it does and I can probably tell you how to adjust it.

Thanks for the info. Will put non residue contact cleaner and deoxit on the list of things that I need.

Also how do I realign a tuner? What test equipment do I need. (working on another list)

Thanks for the help.

Beautifully written, Doc! Cracker, if you follow the doctor's orders, you'll find you probably don't need an alignment. If you do, my advice is... don't try to do it yourself - unless you're an expert, you'll invariably make it worse. Good luck! :thmbsp:

skibjr said:
Beautifully written, Doc! Cracker, if you follow the doctor's orders, you'll find you probably don't need an alignment. If you do, my advice is... don't try to do it yourself - unless you're an expert, you'll invariably make it worse. Good luck! :thmbsp:

I concur, without the following equipment you could definately make it worse:
Oscilloscope
FM Stereo alignment generator
Frequency Counter
Distortion Analyzer

Cool more stuff to put on the list of test equipment that I need.

Will be hunting for an O scope this spring.

thanks again and I will keep you guys posted.
Gotta wait for pay day. (working for county school systems you only get paid once an month )

Back
Top Bottom