Tuner Sounds Great in One Amp, Tinny in Another Amp

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by Grid, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Grid

Grid AK Subscriber Subscriber

During the brief time I had a Harman Kardon A-500 integrated tube amp, I connected a Stromberg Carlson 445 tuner to it and the tuner sounded full with strong bass. The A-500 is sold (and I'm looking for a Sherwood S5000 II with 7159 output tubes). I now connect the 445 to my newer Harman Kardon HK-4390 receiver, and the 445's audio is now rather tinny.

How could the sound be so dramatically different? I mean, would tubes have made that big a difference, or is this perhaps a line impedance issue?

Thank you.

2. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Differences in the pre-amp circuitry. I am assuming the 4390 is SS.

Grid likes this.
  3. LexDM3

LexDM3 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The A-500 tube amp may have had higher input impedance than the SS amp. The tuner may not be able to drive the input circuitry on the SS amp well enough to provide full frequency response. Do you have to turn the SS amp up higher for the tube tuner than for other sources to get the same volume? That might be a hint.

Grid likes this.
  4. Grid

Yes, solid state. Thank you and happy New Year. I have another tuner, a Sherwood S2100. Hoping to find an S5000 II to match up with it.

5. Grid

As a matter of fact, I did notice that. Maybe I'll get lucky someday and score a Stromberg Carlson ASR-444 to match up with the 445 tuner. I am aware the 445 is simulcast FM and not multiplex but I love the styling details of it; and the AM sounded big and robust (going through the A-500 tube amp). I have a '50s Bogen VP17X mono amp with "radio" input. Curious to hear how the tuner sounds through that amp.

100_8247.JPG

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  6. LexDM3

LexDM3 AK Subscriber Subscriber

PM sent. Maybe "someday" will come soon.

7. Patrice B

Patrice B AK Subscriber Subscriber

Don't forget the local/distant switch: in local, volume on mine is reduced almost to half...