Tuner suggestions under $100.00

Crackerman

I had a Gamma One a couple of years ago and would like to purchase another. This seemed to "me" to be a very strong tuner. Here is the problem - when did they triple in price? What is a good going rate for a Gamma One these days? I never see them on Epay for less than $120.00. Is there another tuner one would suggest that may not cost as much, but performs as well, or better than the Gamma One? I don't care much for cosmetics, lights, bells, etc. The local classical station just boosted their power and I'd like to have my morning music again.

If your interest is sound quality, you cannot beat (IMNSHO) a Sherwood S-3000 (mono, FM-only) for the money. Mine was $30 and it is the best-sounding tuner in the house (and house includes things like a Sansui TU-717, Yamaha CR-2020, Pioneer SX-1050, Fisher 500B... stuff like that).

I snagged my T-80 for a BIN of $74.99. Shipping brought it to $100.49. I'm happy, even with an intermittent segment in the display.
Tom

I listen to the local classical station with a Kenwood KT-5500. Cost me considerably less than $100, and sounds decent. Its sensitivity is good enough to lead me to assume that it's in good alignment - a 5500 not in alignment might not sound decent.

Bob

I bought a Onkyo T-4 on the Bay. I paid 40$ for it. I am most satisfied with its sound, selectivity and sensitivity.

Since it is the local classical station and they have boosted output if that is the station you will be listening to most of the time sensitivity is not a real issue. As it probably is in the lower end of the band, adjacent channel rejection, etc. also is not a big issue. Hence, possibly you could reject the esoteric tuner spec hype and look for a good sounding tuner.

In your range, the first 1 that comes to mine is the KLH 18; that little box that I equate with being the SS version of the Dyna FM-3. Simple, rugged, no frills - just good sound. Was designed for the Boston market where all stations worth listening to were within a few dozen miles.

The is the FM-3 - see above; for the tube crowd. Do not need special alignment equipment to keep in spec.

Others:
Onkyo T4055 (think that's the model; 1st gen tuner with the color of the TX-666 receiver)
Philips 185 Lab Series tuner
Philips 797, 787 receivers; just use as a tuner - beats many separates selling fo substanially more. Also may want to consider something in the H-K 430,630,730,930 lineup and use in the same way
The Fisher TFM-300; a hybrid tube front end from the 500-C and SS thereafter. Neither quite tube nor SS snd; seems to be nice mix of the best from both and I really like it for classical. If I did not have the McIntosh MR77 and Philips 6731 it probably would be doing full time duty since I predominately listen to classical and jazz.

I also agree with the Sherwood S3000, S2100 and S2200 series tube tuners; either mono or stereo versions. Even though they have been "discovered" in the last 18 months or so by the crowds, they are still undervalued on the market. These are rugged, simple and unless you start playing tube swappers seem to be almost alignment rock stable even after all these years.

I searched ebay last year. Found one for $5 plus I think around $5 shipping. Watched it for several days without any bids on it. So, like the last few minutes I decided to bid. No other bids made. It's an off brand and was listed as bought in the 80's and never used. Came without the box or instructions but I was definitely satisfied on the price and the quality of the sound and the condition of the unit. There are good deals, you just got to find them. But for $10, I just wanted a radio in the bedroom, and it was worth the gamble.

The Sansui line has a few that can be had for short money if you keep an eye out on eBay. This little TU 217 is a sharp unit with a BIN price of about $90.

Click on this link

You need to be quick since these things don't last too long.

Also with a few mods these TU tuners can be made to sound like $800-$1000 high end units.

good luck whatever you do.

sdz

Crackerman said:
I had a Gamma One a couple of years ago and would like to purchase another. This seemed to "me" to be a very strong tuner. Here is the problem - when did they triple in price? What is a good going rate for a Gamma One these days? I never see them on Epay for less than $120.00. Is there another tuner one would suggest that may not cost as much, but performs as well, or better than the Gamma One? I don't care much for cosmetics, lights, bells, etc. The local classical station just boosted their power and I'd like to have my morning music again.
First, do some research on the FM Tuner Information Center site at http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/

Many of the good vintage FM tuners are going up in price because many manufacturers have abandoned the analog FM tuner market and to put it bluntly, most of the newer ones are not built as well nor perform as well as most of the older ones.

For under $100, you can generally pick up a Sony ST-J75 for $40 to $70, and it's slightly lesser cousins, the ST-J55 and the ST-J60 generally sell for $20 to $40. IMHO, these units are superb performers and great-sounding units for this price. :cool:

Vinyl Rules! said:
First, do some research on the FM Tuner Information Center site at http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/

For under $100, you can generally pick up a Sony ST-J75 for $40 to $70, and it's slightly lesser cousins, the ST-J55 and the ST-J60 generally sell for $20 to $40. IMHO, these units are superb performers and great-sounding units for this price. :cool:

Excellent sounding series of tuners. Skip the tu 217 and go to the tu 317 and get the lights...but the cheaper sansui's don't perform as well as the above mentioned Sony's. If you're patient you can snag a sony receiver-- I picked up an Str 6800sd for under $70 not long ago and it has thoroughly thrashed a stock Kenwood KT 8300 (and a Technics amp). Some of the older solid state Fischer and Scott tuners and receivers sound great and can hadl for well under $100. Lots of good stuff out there still!

influx said:
Excellent sounding series of tuners. Skip the tu 217 and go to the tu 317 and get the lights...but the cheaper sansui's don't perform as well as the above mentioned Sony's. If you're patient you can snag a sony receiver-- I picked up an Str 6800sd for under $70 not long ago and it has thoroughly thrashed a stock Kenwood KT 8300 (and a Technics amp). Some of the older solid state Fischer and Scott tuners and receivers sound great and can hadl for well under $100. Lots of good stuff out there still!
Excellent point on the tuners in the receivers.

There are some really good tuners in some receivers and the TIC has focused their endeavors pretty much just on separate tuners. So there is still undiscovered FM Tuner "gold" out there to be found in some receivers. :)

Brian in Toronto, for example, has noted one of the early Sony receivers (can't remember the model #) had the same tuner in it as the fabled Sony ST-5000FW tuner, and folks, this was one of the best tuners ever built. :cool:

Almost forgot to mention the Kenwood KT 7500! If you're patient (there's that phrase again :D ) you can snag one for under $100. You also have the benefit of gobs of info available on it.

Back
Top Bottom