Tuner suggestions???

Zinker

I'm in love with my 4300
Looking at Marantz tuners, plenty out there. But I'm trying to stay within my means and the whole 70's time frame. I know the 10b is the most sought after next to the 2130 but what comes next???? Got a sweet little 4140 needing a mate??? Any suggestions???

I do listen to the FM quite a lot so would like a great preforming unit.

thanks for your thoughts.....:banana: :banana: :banana:

I'm partial to my 150 mainly because of its sensitivity and that killer scope. If you don't need or want the scope, the 125 will do fine and can be had at a less expensive cost.
I have two 125's in storage that I have used from time to time (coincidentally with my 4140) that I'm fond of although they're not as good picking up distant stations as the 150. I'm a little older now and don't have the hearing I used to have so I can't really hear a sonic difference between the two. Both the 150 and 125 are a correct cosmetic match with the 4140. Either way you can't go wrong.

I second the 150 and would take it over the 2130 and the 10B has TUBES :thumbsdn:

:D

Lefty

Stereofan said:
I'm partial to my 150 mainly because of its sensitivity and that killer scope. If you don't need or want the scope, the 125 will do fine and can be had at a less expensive cost.
I have two 125's in storage that I have used from time to time (coincidentally with my 4140) that I'm fond of although they're not as good picking up distant stations as the 150. I'm a little older now and don't have the hearing I used to have so I can't really hear a sonic difference between the two. Both the 150 and 125 are a correct cosmetic match with the 4140. Either way you can't go wrong.

How bout the 120??? I believe it's got the same scope as the 150????

Hi!

No - the 120 and the 150 do not share the same scope. I Think that most Marantz tuners sound nice. If we go the scope-tuner way - I'd pick the 150 as my favourite - but the 20 - the 120 - 120B - even the 2110 (not quite the same league - but good still). I have the 10B, which I like the most (killer sound), but it is very expensive and maybe needs attention in general - tubes - maybe optocouplers. The 125 is to me a superb tuner aswell ( has a lot in common with the 150 actually)- does not feature the scope (which can be a little relief, because one never has to think about getting a replacement scopetube

They're all goood - but I'd vote for the 150 - nice tuner!

regards
Freddy

I own the 150 and like it very much. I've also owned a 104 and a 115. I've heard the 10b and it sounds nice but it is very expensive to own. There always seem to be 10b's available on eBay or Audiogon, but the 150's and the 2130's are rare.

Carl

Okay I went and "did it". Bought what appears to be a good condition 125 on the bay.....Has all boxes, manuals, and a very good looking wc-1 with its original box too. Spent a little too much maybe, but had the cash from literally selling some of my old basement junk on ebay.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll let you all know when it gets here and how it preforms when I get it cleand up and setup. It's going to be matched up with a 4140 and 5200 cassette deck. YAHOOOO!!!!

Love to all:banana: :banana: :banana:

Hi Zinker,
Happy listening and enjoy your 125 (and remember to post some pics once you have it setup with the 4140).
BTW the FM quality is highly dependent on your antenna setup, check the Tuners section here at AK, there was a thread about FM antennas not too long ago, IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom