Tuner to match Altec 345a amp/445a preamp

Greg Nal

Audio Wizard Wannabe
Subscriber
Looking for the trifecta here. I've managed to corral the amp and preamp. What suggestions do you have for an Altec tuner (if any) to go with these beauties? Stereo preferable but if MPX out available I have MPX adapters. Expect it to be somewhat unobtanium but so were the other two. I'm feeling lucky!

Looking for the trifecta here. I've managed to corral the amp and preamp. What suggestions do you have for an Altec tuner (if any) to go with these beauties? Stereo preferable but if MPX out available I have MPX adapters. Expect it to be somewhat unobtanium but so were the other two. I'm feeling lucky!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 15
Jan. 1959 High Fidelity Magazine (page 21) advertisement announced Altec's 307A FM Tuner: "Altec's new 307A FM Tuner is logically modern...has a stereo output for the soon available multiplexing." Price was $96 (walnut, blond, or mahogany cabinet was listed at $19.95). I'm not an expert but judging from the date of manufacture and the front styling, I'd guess that this is the model that was meant to complement the 345A and 445A.

I was able to score a 1959 Altec 306a tuner tonight, its mono, couldn't tell if there is a mpx out. Got it with an Altec 339 BC 10 W mono integrated amp, both in really nice shape with wood cases. Not cheap but definitely a rarity. If I can get it to go stereo, I'll have it go both ways with the 345a/445a. Schwing!

Altec 339B integrated amp-306A tuner.jpg

Back
Top Bottom