Tuners?

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by bully, May 22, 2003.

1. Eddie Bauer

Eddie Bauer New Member

New to the site, i have a question about needle dial replacement for a Pioneer SX 1010, does needle from models (424, 525, 626) fit in my 1010. The needle on mine was broken and glued back together by previous owner and glued spot effects the light travel to the tip.

Thanks
    James

2. Punker X

Punker X AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not sure on those specific models, but the pointer of the 1010 is common to other receivers of the same family.

3. Eddie Bauer

Eddie Bauer New Member

Yeah those other three i listed are apart of the family, great to known, i had the light fix for the needle and discovered the needle was repaired/glued, so that spot effects the light travel down the needle. thanks mike

4. Splatter Pak

Splatter Pak High-End Scrounger

Since my last post on page 33 of this thread, I've bought an ADS T2 tuner ($15, last day at an estate sale), and it is a wonderful unit. It only edged the Akai out of my main system by virtue of its faceplate color. Both tune and sound excellent.

5. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

My Sansui AU/TU717 in the house is set on an oldies station (60s, 70s, and 80s) and my 8080db in the warehouse is set on a station out of Sacramento State College that plays classical during the day and jazz at night.

1old_wizard likes this.
  6. Sunny61

Sunny61 Active Member

I also have the Sansui TU and AU 717. Listen to them every night at bedtime. Luckily, we have a good, public jazz station here in the Puget Sound region. I have a Scott 350 to go with my 299 integrated as well.

7. Splatter Pak

Splatter Pak High-End Scrounger

I continue to be amazed by the ADS T2 tuner. I tuned in KANU today and got all five signal strength lights lit, the "tuned" indicator lit and the stereo indicator lit. The SQ is excellent, with NONE of the usual FM artifacts, The kicker is that the station is some fifty miles away in Lawrence, Kansas, and I am using a T-antenna in the basement.

8. ConradH

ConradH AK Subscriber Subscriber

Splatter- thanks for posting. I was afraid we'd sit on #666 for too long. :D

Probably of interest to nobody, but I use a wideband ommni antenna (http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/omni.htm) that worked OK, but I was never convinced it was as good as could be. I did mine with wire, not pipe or tube. It's below ground in the basement, so I'm probably expecting too much. I messed with coiled lines and clamp-on ferrites to no avail. Finally I made it a 1:1 balun of the simplest type (http://vk6ysf.com/balun_guanella_current_1-1.htm). Seems to be a big improvement. You need a small high frequency toroid like an Amidon #61 for FM use. T-50 size is plenty, probably way overkill. Takes about 10 minutes to make.

My Yamaha T-85 never seemed that great either, until I aligned it. Huge improvement in SQ. I was scared to do it, but it turned out to be one of the easier alignments I've done.

9. loudnoises

loudnoises Escalates Quickly Subscriber

Nice try! I happen to be interested... i'm 50 miles from boston, so every tweak gets me more stations. last bit got me a 4kw station i've been seeking. MIght have to look into that ballun. I've one up at the feedpoint and a choke, and nothing causing interference i can tell. Made me a http://www.qsl.net/yt1vp/CUBICAL QUAD ANTENNA CALCULATOR.htm and it absolutely destroys my dipole. just the element and reflector so far, figured i'd add a director if i got a rotor for it. picked 98hz and i might lower it but so far no need,

Always looking for other types of antenna to try, looks like i've another lined up after this j-pole...

10. ConradH

ConradH AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wow, that should work great, but it's too big for anyplace I could put it. I'm about as far from an RF guy as you could get, but I do have a vector impedance meter. The thing that drives me crazy is they show calculated curves for antenna impedance, but when I make physical measurements I get all sorts of goofy results. I know the meter is working correctly, as it reads a 50 or 70 ohm resistor at the end of the coax correctly. My guess is antennas only measure correctly in free space, and being in a room messes up the carefully done calculations. A pole and rotor should be great. I fear putting up an outdoor antenna with any height, as we get a fair number of close lightning strikes ever year or three. My guess is the vertical omni won't be enough better than a regular dipole for you, as the quad is vastly better than a simple dipole. Still fun to play with as it's very easy to throw together. I use a horizontal piece of wood top and bottom, and hang it wherever convenient.

11. ghazzer

ghazzer Sansui addict Subscriber

Conrad: Do you have enough vertical room in your attic? It is relatively easy to rig up a rope pulley "rotator" if you have a closet that your wife doesn't look in very often. You might even be able to find a run all the way down to your basement.