Tuners?

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by bully, May 22, 2003.

1. lokerola

lokerola AK Subscriber Subscriber

Don't rotors require power? For some reason I'm thinking of a complex motorized rotor that needs a power source. That always sounded like a lot of trouble, seeing as I have no outlets or power up on my roof. But maybe I'm missing something?

2. doug s.

doug s. Super Member

yes, rotors require power. but your tuner also requires power, right? and it requires signal from your antenna? i am sure you don't have your tuner up on the roof, right? :)

the rotor controller can be at/near your tuner, plugged into the wall at/near your tuner. you just run the power wire up to the antenna rotor, the same way you run the coax antenna feed up to the antenna from the tuner.

doug s.

3. lokerola

LOL - OK, I admit, I'm FM antenna-stupid. I just googled around and it doesn't look too hard. Jeez - just another 3 hours on the roof. :) Thank you for the info.

4. doug s.

doug s. Super Member

since you already have a mast mounted, it shouldn't take that long to mount the rotor and a new antenna; and the path for the wire should be relatively easy to duplicate. you'll spend more time deciding which rotor and antenna to purchase. and good yagi's seem to cost quite a bit more these days than in the past, especially compared to omni's. don't forget to also read up on proper grounding.

good luck; i think you will be pleased w/the results.

doug s.

5. lokerola

Just thought I'd pop in and let folks know the dipole mounted up on the roof is working well. There may be a few stations I wish it could pull in better, but for the majority of stations I listen to, it's working well. I mainly listen to the local jazz, classical, and classic rock stations. Old man radio for sure!

6. doug s.

doug s. Super Member

a dipole will certainly work better than an omni, in most cases, as it's directional, in two opposite directions, 180 deg away from each other. as long as you don't have an interfering adjacent station in the opposite direction of the station you're wanting to listen to.

from what you've said so far, i suspect that most of your station choices are in one particular direction; if that's the case, you will still get better results w/a yagi, and if all the stations are in approximately the same direction, you won't need a rotor. but, if there's a station that's marginal, and you'd like to listen to it, a yagi that can be pointed directly at is is the way to go.

doug s.

7. audmod01

audmod01 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am late to this list but here are the tuners I have:
    Harman-Kardon F-50-XK
    Dynakit FM-3
    Dynakit FM-5
    Fisher 202-R AM/FM tuner
    Fisher FM-200-B
    Hafler DH-330
    Harman Kardon TU-915
    Kenwood KT-7500 (two of them)
    Receivers:
    E H Scott 800-B
    Fisher 500-C
    Hallicrafters SX-25
    Philco 40-201
    The E H Scott 800-B, Fisher 202-R and Hallicrafters SX-25 have excellent AM and/or SW tuning capability. The E H Scott 800-B has an excellent FM tuning section. Both the 800-B, 202-R and SX-25 have wide to narrow IF bandwidth choices depending on band being tuned and how crowded signals may be.

8. aileenamegan

aileenamegan Super Member

Very impressing collection!

9. Nick_G

Nick_G Active Member

I realised that I hadn't mentioned my last tuner acquisition in this thread: a BW Broadcast RBRX Encore. I've been using it since the spring and it is SUPERB for DXing, due to 15 selectable IF bandwidths. Sound quality is top notch too. It's designed for rebroadcast use in tough signal locations but can also be used as a standalone tuner.

radioactive likes this.
  10. radioactive

radioactive tube gear fanatic

Gotta picture. Sounds like a tuner that id love to have.

11. RxDx

RxDx Speaker collector Subscriber

Current list is
    Onkyo T-9090 II
    Onkyo T-4711
    Sony XDR-F1HD
    dxing monsters

Sold the rest
    Kenwood KT-5020
    Heathkit AJ-33
    Heathkit AJ-41
    Kenwood KT-5500
    Yamaha TX1000 (2)
    " T-85 (2)
    " T-7 (2)
    " T-1 (2)
    " TX-950 (2)
    " T-80
    Marantz ST-S7
    maybe some others...

12. Nick_G

Nick_G Active Member

Here's a pic (not very good):

[​IMG]

13. radioactive

Nice, I did research it pricey little thing. What are you using for a antenna? I wonder how it'd perform with a magnetic loop? The tascam CD burner is also nice. I have a tascam cdrw 4u.

14. Nick_G

Nick_G Active Member

I use a 9-element beam hooked up to a Yaesu rotator. The Tascam CD recorder is used to record DX catches and upload them online. Useful if I need help with IDing a mystery signal.

15. radioactive

Ahh so your dxing the FM band. I've done a bit of FM dxing but not much. I'm more of a am dxer than FM. Have you used it for am dxing.?

16. Nick_G

Nick_G Active Member

No it doesn't do AM. I suspect AM DXing would be pretty much impossible here anyway due to multiple noise sources like Wi-fi routers, power line adapters, computers, etc.

17. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

Just sold my Sony ST-3000ES to a local guy who wanted it for his mother
    Hated to see it go. Looked good and sounded great.

That leaves me with the Sony ST-SA5ES.

Before long Mike will have my McIntosh MR77 ready for me after a refurbishment, alignment, and deephasis change for the local broadcast standard. That will give me a matched set with the MA6200 integrated amp.

Probably keep the Sony as a spare.