Tuners

Infinity nutcase.
Seeking some advice on McIntosh Tuners. Since starting the hobby I've had a few different tuners and I'm doing 2 channel separates. My Sansui TU-417 died this week, prior to that I had an MR 7082 which was by far the best sounding of any Am/Fm tuner I've heard, owned to date.

I'm an FM junkie, it's just part of the routine getting up, flip switches, make coffee & start the day.

I want to replace the 417 with a McIntosh, staying vintage I'm a bit undecided on which to go with. As much as I liked the 7082 I kind of missed the feeling of a nice tuning dial and the full length tuning face. So that's what I'm curious about, do the 77, 78 Tuners have that same lush sound of the 7082 ?

I am a tuner junkie as well but am beginning to sour because of the quality of stations in my area. My love affair with tuners began when living in the Chicago metro area; a combination of number of stations, the quality of programming (circa 1985) and signal strength spoiled me compared to my present situation in NE Ohio. My comment is that you will get a warped impression of any particular model unless everyone you listen to has been aligned properly. I recently purchased an MX113 strictly for the MR74 tuner section and just received it back from Terry Dewick. The performance is much, much better than my MR77 but honestly I really cannot disparage the 77 since it was never aligned and adjusted by a competent profession. I did recap both of them myself. The same is true for my MX130 (same as MR7083) that has also never been aligned since I purchase it. BTW, all my tuners are used but mint cosmetically.

You really can't go wrong with any of the Mc tuners from the 60s thru the 90s. The MR71 remains my fave, followed by the MR77 and MR74. I've never owned an MR78 or MR80 so I can't comment on either. I presently own an MR75 and it sounds just sublime after a tune up and alignment.

I'm going to buy 1 time, cry one time. I want the peace of mind that I'm getting a good tuner that's going to last awhile and is coming from the good guys so it's going to come from Dewicks buddies. Our local guy as a few and of course ebay but this time it's not an option.

I basically only listen to one station here, KUNV. Though we still have other good stations here in Vegas.

The long term plan is to switch out my current components to McIntosh, a new C-26 was Priority but the Tuner has taken that place. And should happen in the next week. So thank you for the reinforcement I just wanted to check opinions before pulling the trigger.

Thank you.

My rankings by what I presently own. My MR80 is by far the best tuner I've owned and it sent my aligned and modded Sui TU9900 to the sidelines if that's an indication. I used to own an MR78 but I did not care for it's sound quality even though it was great at pulling in those weak stations. Honorable mention goes to my MR74 which is an excellent tuner but not quite an MR80 for sensitivity but it is right there with it for sound quality. Sadly the worst one I own is a MR7084 which I have in my main rig only because of it's small size and matching looks for my C100. It is not there for sound quality or selectivity which it lacks in both areas terribly and a sacrifice I had to make because of the C100's being a 2 piece preamp.
If I could only keep one my of Mac tuners for me the choice would be easy....... the MR80 as I think it has just the right trade off for selectivity and sound quality

Agreed with the above assessment of the MR80 which I consider McIntosh's finest tuner overall. I've listened to quite a number of McIntosh tuners of one sort or another - whether part of a receiver or tuner preamplifier or standalone - and yet to discover one that failed to please given a quality signal. Ability to deal with a variety of reception issues inherent in FM vary significantly from on model to another.

MR74/77 are both great by most accounts; MR78 another nice one but more expensive. MR7083/7082 are probably the best bargains because their styling but no reflection on their performance.

If also considering a C26, the MX113 is combination of that preamplifier model + MR74 and would cost about the same as a standalone MR74.

The MR-88 is the best tuner I've ever owned in terms of sound (on AM, FM and HD-Radio) and in terms of ability to pull in DX stations and the ability to pull in a weak station when a strong station is right next to it on the FM dial (comparing this to other tuners that I've owned such as the Sequerra One, the Marantz 10B, and the Harmon-Kardon Citation 3x).

Of course, the MR-88 is and EXTREMELY expensive investment and McIntosh, for some insane reason, discontinued it.

IIRC - I think the MR80 specs even edged out the MR88. At $2,499 (last price 1986) it was arguably the most expensive tuner ever produced by McIntosh.

IIRC - I think the MR80 specs even edged out the MR88. At $2,499 (last price 1986) it was arguably the most expensive tuner ever produced by McIntosh.
It had a lot of bells and whistles that, unfortunately, are coming back to haunt owners in the current generation.

Well, I have never heard all those other models, but the MR85 I just bought is just a beautiful addition to my C48, and sounds great. Really happy with it.
BTW, do digital tuners need alignment too?

Last edited:
I've been poking around and I'm really leaning towards the MR-74, it really attracts me on the looks and I think when the time comes it's a good match with a C-26. The MR-80 must be fantastic if it's anything above the 7082. When I bought mine it was an awe moment, when I picked it up I wasn't impressed because it doesn't weigh much but boy that changed the second I turned it on. Very impressive tuning capabilities too.

So I'm looking closely at the 73, 74, 77 or 78. It'll be one of those four.

Thanks again, I really appreciate everyone's input.

I like my MR78, its classic, has unparalleled selectivity but the audio is okay, not ground breaking.....

I like the sound of my MR80 the best....

I would really like to try a MR71.....

This topic has been repeated often. Call Audio Classics for advice and selection. They have seen every McIntosh tuner in existence and would know best.

This topic has been repeated often. Call Audio Classics for advice and selection. They have seen every McIntosh tuner in existence and would know best.

So just because you feel the topic has been repeated often, we shouldn't discuss tuners, the OP should contact AC?
What on earth is the forum for? Can we not discuss our experiences so the OP can make an informed decision?
Just saying, with all due respect...

Sure AC might be able to advise on technical aspects such as reliability, technical performance and history, but any information they have how they may sound is entirely as subjective as anybodies opinion is in this forum.
This is what makes any discussion here very worthwhile, no matter how many times it's been discussed.

Ahhhh...it's okay. I knew when I posted somebody would be mean. It is a rhetorical topic. I generally will spend some time researching old threads to find given info before posting. I plan to purchase here pretty quick and I respect you guys that have been there done that so that's why asked.

Just remember we were all new at one time.

So just because you feel the topic has been repeated often, we shouldn't discuss tuners, the OP should contact AC?
What on earth is the forum for? Can we not discuss our experiences so the OP can make an informed decision?
Just saying, with all due respect...

Sure AC might be able to advise on technical aspects such as reliability, technical performance and history, but any information they have how they may sound is entirely as subjective as anybodies opinion is in this forum.
This is what makes any discussion here very worthwhile, no matter how many times it's been discussed.
Discuss all you like. I was suggesting talking to qualified pros. You seemed to have gotten your knickers all bunched up. Take a chill pill and relax.

I should think the combined experience of multiple long-time McIntosh tuner owners, (many of whom own/ed a number of McIntosh tuners) would be in as good a position to render worthwhile advice as anybody, including Audio Classics.

Questions like this arise on AK every day. Should they all be directed to ask the selling dealer?

Also, I for one cannot recall the last time advice on tuners was sought in the McIntosh forum either... :idea:

Last edited:
I should think the combined experience of multiple long-time McIntosh tuner owners, (many of whom own/ed a number of McIntosh tuners) would be in as good a position to render worthwhile advice as anybody, including Audio Classics.

Questions like this arise on AK every day. Should they all be directed to ask the selling dealer?

Also, I for one cannot recall the last time advice on tuners was sought in the McIntosh forum either... :idea:
Well said caddy.

OP - keep us posted. My MR75 does have a bit of difficulty pulling in KBAQ in Phoenix at times with a dipole due to two adjacent stations with higher power. So I simply switch it to Mono, turn the muting off, lock it in, and then back to Stereo - works perfectly. This would undoubtedly be a case where an MR78 would be superior. I also have a serviced and aligned Kenwood KT-8300 in another system that I feel bests the MR75 in selectivity. SQ it's hard to say.

In 1998 or so, I had Chris Hornbeck at Custom Audio in Little Rock, AR go thru an MR71 for me. Chris was the best tech I ever had the fortune of having at my disposal and was a great friend. When I got it back, I was just floored. There was just something about the way that particular tuner sounded that just pulled me in.

Before owning the MR71, Chris had serviced and aligned multiple Mc tuners for me - a few MX110s, one MR73, and a few MR74s. [The MR74 and MR77 are just so damn sexy when the glass is perfect, the dial glass spotless, and the illumination working 100%.]. I enjoyed my time with each.

A few years ago I had Cornell Smith align an MR77 for a friend of mine. Afterwards, it's sound was eerily reminiscent of that MR71 - just captivating. It sounded so good I used it for several months before admitting to my friend that it was back from service! Cornell also aligned my MR75 and KT -8300 but neither can play at the level of the MR71 or MR77.

Back
Top Bottom