Tuners

Well I stopped in our local shop on the way home this evening to take a peek at any McIntosh tuners that may have come in. Nothing but a very tired looking MR-78. For the asking price I'll hold out for an audio classics unit.

What I did find further down the case was a C-26. This thing looks like time stopped straight from the factory. It's absolutely pristine, looks like it just came out of the box, not a single scratch, bubble....nothing. Even the screws around the body have that new look. We pulled it from the case and I did a quick inspection and I don't think it's ever had an RCA plug plugged into it.

I asked if he's tested anything and he said no.

I've never seen a piece of this age look like this, it's stunning. If it's a true time capsule and hasn't been used would the electronics inside still be good after all these years. It has my name on it until Friday night. When he says we'll test it before I buy it.

He's got an oscilloscope and many other gadgets. Is there anything I should specifically ask to be checked on his machines ?

If it comes home I'll post some pics, it's big time worthy.

Would it be safe to assume that he would measure the units performance and compare that to published specs? That will tell volumes. Keep in mind that the C26 does not have an internal headphone amplifier - an amplifier must be connected to the inputs on the rear panel in order for the headphone jack to have audio present.

It didn't even cross my mind damacman, Thank you I'll look for and print out what I can find. Guess I just got a bit excited.

@7.62

Here is brief background and analysis of the C26 by Roger Russell, its original designer you might enjoy.

http://www.roger-russell.com/c26pg.htm

If the condition is all you say it is, I'd give it serious consideration if the price is right, but bear in mind it'll likely need to be gone through. Might also want to check out the C26 restoration thread in this forum. Very impressive what this unit is capable of when properly upgraded.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-and-upgrade-of-a-late-production-c26.782810/

Thanks caddy, I printed out the 26 specs. It's been awhile since I lost sleep over a piece of gear and sure happened last night. I'm heading out here in awhile to go buy it if it checks out.

My chance to redeem myself for selling my first one with something I didn't think could be found in this kind of condition. Let alone locally and at the asking price, I think it's one of the few times he's underpriced a piece of gear, I couldn't find a spec of dust even.

I snapped a pic of that big monster sansui yesterday, I'll take some more pics of the shop if you want see how neat this place is. Since we're receiver guys...IMG_0056.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks caddy, I printed out the 26 specs. It's been awhile since I lost sleep over a piece of gear and sure happened last night. I'm heading out here in awhile to go buy it if it checks out.

My chance to redeem myself for selling my first one with something I didn't think could be found in this kind of condition. Let alone locally and at the asking price, I think it's one of the few times he's underpriced a piece of gear, I couldn't find a spec of dust even.

I snapped a pic of that big monster sansui yesterday, I'll take some more pics of the shop if you want see how neat this place is. Since we're receiver guys...View attachment 1009270
My problem with those particular units, and speaking from experience as I have owned one. They sound very very impressive, better than you might imagine, but the power amp current capability is pretty poor. If you are driving speakers which have a difficult impedance curve, forget it, you'll trip the over-current protection on every bass drum beat....
The only way I could make it work for me was to use a more "serious" power amp for the Low End, and the Sansui driving the Mid/high's....Actively Bi-amped.
Hard to beat that tuner though, seriously good!!

Well I ended up with 2 pieces, the C-26 and a sansui. The C-26 speced out like new. Man it sounds so nice with the ren 90's and the phono section is just superb. It's really nice to have tone controls again. As much as I loved my Anthem the McIntosh has more control over the bass, imaging, everything is sounding so sweet.

Sorry I didn't take better pics to show how nice this is.
IMG_0110.JPG IMG_0062.JPG
And a few of the shop.
IMG_0058.JPG IMG_0060.JPG IMG_0057.JPGIMG_0060.JPG
The sansui 517 was recapped. Aligned and has LED upgrades, I had to take it.

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 27
Nice haul! Very cool to see a shop that has an actual tech w/proper gear. Not just some guy cleaning it, replacing a bulb and calling it "fully serviced."

Nice one!! and a TU517 to boot, not a bad tuner......That is one amazing shop, you'd never see anything like that in this country.......

Well I ended up with 2 pieces, the C-26 and a sansui. The C-26 speced out like new. Man it sounds so nice with the ren 90's and the phono section is just superb. It's really nice to have tone controls again. As much as I loved my Anthem the McIntosh has more control over the bass, imaging, everything is sounding so sweet.

Sorry I didn't take better pics to show how nice this is.
View attachment 1009577 View attachment 1009578
And a few of the shop.
View attachment 1009580 View attachment 1009582 View attachment 1009585View attachment 1009582
The sansui 517 was recapped. Aligned and has LED upgrades, I had to take it.
Wow - quite a collection there. Unique rack handles on that MC2205 ... Noticed that he also has an MC2105 - perfect complement to the C26! I've always liked Sansui tuners myself.

Now, as I'm somewhat of a Rockford Fosgate historian, would you be so kind as to get me some more info on the RF amplifier he has? I can't say that I've ever seen that before ...

Enjoy the preamp.

Thanks, I'm in happyland ! So happy to have a C-26 again and one in such nice condition. Although I think I can detect a loss of sweetness that the Anthem had. The 517 is really, really nice. What a difference when a vintage piece has been tuned up.

I looked at those McIntosh amps, both are nice but I doubt they have enough steam to keep up with the renaissance 90's. For that I'm holding out, my xls will stay for woofer duty and a nice vintage McIntosh tube amp up top which won't be to far out but that's another thread.

If you guys are ever in Las Vegas and want to get away from all the hookers and blow, Bobs shop isn't far from the strip and he welcomes everyone as he's a mom & pop shop. It's easy to spend an hour or so checking everything out and he'll let you listen to just about anything. Super guy. Damacman, give hm a call I'm sure he'll tell you anything you want to know. Just look up Audio Expert.

I still love the 7082 and wouldn't change, but YMMV. I have other Mc tuner/receivers awaiting refurb and I'll update whenever that happens. Right now they can't hold a candle to the 7082.

Agree, if another 7082 comes around I’d snatch it right up ! It would quickly replace the 517 as good as it is.

Back
Top Bottom