Tung Sol 5881 Horizontal mount?

Lavane

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm finishing up a 6L6 SE amp build that will be used as a head amp. I want to keep the cabinet as short as possible. The tubes are mounted off the back of the chassis. The Tung Sol data sheet states any mounting position. I have read about the heater and other tube elements sagging and shorting with some tubes depending on the orientation of the tube when mounted horizontally. Should I abandon the idea of mounting this chassis horizontally, or is it ok?
Thanks,
Paul
20190115_142847.jpg

Last edited:
It seems that short stubby tubes have shorter filaments and filament sag is not as big of a deal. You might want to search the web for 'mounting 6L6 horizontal' - there are a lot of posts around the web on this very topic. Pretty much the consensus is 'no problem'. I would say between that and the data sheet, you should be fine.

It seems that short stubby tubes have shorter filaments and filament sag is not as big of a deal. You might want to search the web for 'mounting 6L6 horizontal' - there are a lot of posts around the web on this very topic. Pretty much the consensus is 'no problem'. I would say between that and the data sheet, you should be fine.
I did do some searches and it's kind of all over the map. Depending on internal construction of various 6l6 types, what pins should be in what orientation, etc. But like you I took note if the stubby Tung Sol 5881. The data sheet stated any position. I'm just wondering if anyone here had any experience running them horizontally.

You'd probably find some tubeheads in the Tube forum that aren't over here. You might post the question there.

Is it a combo? Having the speaker right next to the power tubes will shorten tube life. Look for a tube that is made for a combo.

Is it a combo? Having the speaker right next to the power tubes will shorten tube life. Look for a tube that is made for a combo.
It wasn't going to be a combo, but today my son told me he had an old combo cabinet. I'll
modify it to fit the amp and hang it vertically.
20190115_142847.jpg

Horizontal mounting of 6L6 tubes was used in Seeburg jukebox amps in the 1950's.
The above chassis electrolytic caps are mounted at the bottom , then the transformers,
power tubes & ceramic resistors , driver tubes then preamp tubes. cool air from the grill in the bottom hits the electrolytics first which will extend their life.

seeburg-jukebox-mra4-l6-solid-rebuilt_1_8c3c5d839e67100493e32525554b641e.jpg

The Tung-Sol 5881 is braced every which way inside. I wouldn't worry about it in a horizontal application.

Back
Top Bottom