1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Tung-sol 6sn7gtb USA Vintage vs New Russian Interesting Comparo

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by Jim Creek, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Jim Creek

Jim Creek Jazz, Wine, Electronics

Most tube heads believe the old vintage stuff is better than the new tubes manufactured today.

Here’s an interesting camparo.

I have several 6SN7 vintage tubes and one new Russian Tung Sol that I regulary roll into my Schiit Saga preamp. I have to say the Russian Tung Sol is really good.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil AK Member Subscriber

I like many of the new, reissue tubes. However the new Tung-sol 6SN7gtb is not one of them. It makes my system's soundstage shrink and sound less natural and open. I've now tried it in my system 3 times over a 6 month period and my impression has been the same each time. I like my vintage Sylvania, Westinghouse, and Ken-Rad better. I haven't compared it against any vintage USA Tung-sol.

AlTinkster92 and primosounds like this.
  3. eickmewg

eickmewg AK Subscriber Subscriber

Agree with Tom. I had a new Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB that was very noisy. Tube Depot sent me a new one that was just as bad. I now have some great vintage Sylvania tubes that are vastly superior.

4. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

For as plentiful as old ones are, I don't really see the point in paying big money for any of these. I have no dog in the fight for old vs new but I've probably got a bucket full of old production 6SN7's and nothing that uses them.

5. Tom Bombadil

I didn't pay "big" money for any of my 6SN7s. The most was paying $20 for the new reissue Tung-sol. Paid around $12-$15 for some, picked up some around $5 in a surplus store.

So gadget73, why are you hoarding those 6SN7s? Share the wealth with AK'ers and reap some good karma! :)

6. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

I've somehow ended up with them in boxes of free stuff. I think they were used as vertical amp or vertical oscillator tubes in TV sets. Its all used stuff. On my list of things to do is unload some stuff I just don't need. Maybe I'll add those to the list.

7. Jim Creek

Jim Creek Jazz, Wine, Electronics

I disagree with the concensus here. The new Russian Tung Sol is a very good tube.

My favorite is a vintage CBS/Hytron 6SN7GT. My Ken-Rad and Sylvania are also very good. It boils down to system synergy, room dynamics and personal preferences.

Peace

8. Tom Bombadil

I should get rid of some of my 6SN7s too. I have about 10, including the new Tung-sol, which I don't plan on using again. That's less than a "bucket full" like gadget73, but still wasteful if someone else could use them. Yes, there were 4 to 6 6SN7s in some of the old CRT TVs. And 6,500 in the original Eniac computer. Tube manufacturers produced 6SN7s by the hundreds of thousands.

9. Erhard-Audio

Erhard-Audio AK Subscriber Subscriber

well I for one would be VERY interested in taking some, if not all, of your 6SN7's off your hands. 'pm' me if and when you're ready to 'move' them :)

10. Dadbeh

Dadbeh Active Member

as a direct equivalent to 6sn7GT i got a Shuguang CV181. it is perfection. sounds amazing and it is quiet. i love love love it. i got the non treasure version/. the treasure is super expensive but the regular one comes direct from shuguang around 60 bucks plus shipping for a matched pair. before bujying i messaged them and made it clear that if the matching is less than perfect or the tube is noisy i will return through ebay and they promised to test and match carefully. I gotta say that i am very satisfied for what i got for my money. i seriously love this tube. just gorgeous.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  11. Tom Bombadil

I hope that Shuguang CV181 lasts a long time for you. I've read from 5 or 6 people who had them that they went noisy within a year. But everyone I've known who had one has really liked the sound.

Dadbeh likes this.

12. Destructor

Destructor Super Member

I’ve been curious about the new Russian 6SL7 but I see on the usual tube supplier’s web sites that some of their U.S. NOS tubes are around the same price. I had Soviet era 6SL7’s in my Se-1 that worked well.

13. eickmewg

eickmewg AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've had a Treasure CV181 as the amplification tube for over a year with two 50's Sylvania 6SN7 GTB phase splitters on an octal driver board on my Latino VTA ST120. This has proven to be an exceptional combination for that amp. I had very poor performance from the new issue Tung-Sols. I had donated a 12AU7 to 6SN7 tube adapter along with my replacement Tung-Sol 6SN7 to another VTA owner and he reported the first time he turned on his amp with the Tung-Sol, it sounded like a lawn mower! I sent him one of my old Sylvania's and things were great.

14. knockbill

knockbill Addicted Member

I never tried a foreign made tube, other than 12AX7 which were given to me, and find them too wide to fit in some tube shields,,, 6SN7s are a buck a piece at local hamfests and radio meets,,, 6SL7s are a little more 2-3bux?,,, I also have a lot of 6SN7s,, seems everything used them back in the day... NOS TS, Sylvania, RCA, GE are all nice sounding...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  15. Tom Bombadil

While my experience with the tube has been negative, there are many high-end tube amps which use it as their stock tube. I'm sure some of this is due to it being the only reasonably priced 6SN7 which can be matched in quad sets and in volume. VAC makes a $78,000 monoblock amp which uses six 6SN7s per side. It has won numerous awards. They use the new Tung-sol and have spoken favorably of it.