"tuning Eye"

Remember?

There are several pieces of equipment at Casa Hardy that use 'em, including the Sherwood-S3000 tuner, the EICO HF-90 tuner, and some other, more obscure pieces. Some older tape recorders used them for level setting too.

There is a European website featuring dozens of photos of electron ray (magic eye) tubes in action. I don't have the URL handy, though...

Boostcrazy, The gap in the ring narrows and widens depending on signal level.

-Dave

Last edited:
My 1947 Magnavox combo console has one. The dark area, like a slice of a pie, closes up tighter as the signal gets stronger. The tuning eye is hard to see in this photo.

Magnavox WOW!!

That thing is gorgeous. . . .I remember these "Tuning Eyes" on a lot of older equipment from the 50s through the 70s and even into the eightys. . .The ring tightens as you get closer to tuned. . . . .I dont know what happens if the green ring completly closes. . .Duck and cover. . !!!

My parents had a Magnavox console that had one of these tuning eyes. Green.
A distant memory from my childhood. Way, way back there!

My father still has his Magnavox console
in the office of his shop. I think it is circa 1965. Used to watch that eye all the time.:p:

Beautiful!! Gorgeous!!!
What can I say?
I've been longing for one of those.
I remember my dad's old tape recorder. It had that monstrous green eye that oponed up when I raised my voice.
How come we lost it?

By the way, does someone remember the nixies?

This thread already screwed with my psychi...I had like usual.. aweird dream, which at the end finds me looking thru the window of a Goodwill store, and there was a Nikko unit with the "EYE"...

amazing thing the brain...

Dont look into the eye!!!

VooDoo magic. . . . . .The eye knows all, sees all, knows if you are good or bad. . . . . . .Evil Eye. . . .

Since someone mentioned Nixies...

... There are a lot of cool links and projects on the old Nixie neon display tubes. Take a look at the Nixie clock link from Gary Kaufman's page:

www.the-planet.org

Back
Top Bottom