1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Tuning MPX-64... is it tuned to the tubes?

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by thornev, Jun 11, 2018.

1. thornev

thornev Well-Known Member

I guess I should address this question to Dave G... Dave - When one tunes the MPX-64, is the tuning dependent on the 3 tubes installed in it? In other words, if I swap out the tubes, does the MPX-64 have to be retuned?

Thanks, Thorne

Please register to disable this ad.

2. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

In most cases NO. If the tube change causes distortion, then it probably needs an alignment although it could be a bad tube. Make sure both sections of the tube are tested and meet minimum spec for emissions and gm. GM should be pretty equal. And it's a MPX-65. :D

3. thornev

65? How un-hexadecimal !

4. larryderouin

Yeah, but it could be a MPX-69...............:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

5. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

Is that one also called the WXXX ?

6. larryderouin

Dirty Old MAN!!! :whip::naughty::naughty:

7. gadget73

You started it. I've been over here minding my business, playing with a rack. Not a good rack, but it was an expensive one.

8. larryderouin

:rflmao::jump::rflmao:. Does she have a sister???

9. larryderouin

This is getting out of hand. Let's stop the insanity while We're Ahead of the Game.

10. gadget73

A steering rack. And who's the dirty old man now?

It has a sister, hopefully that one actually works. The fancy rebuilt one that I paid too much for was not rebuilt well and it sprung a leak very quickly. I took it apart to inspect, found it was packed with engine assembly grease. That explains why the fluid got dark and nasty. Not sure why the seals failed, but poor assembly might be the issue. I need special tools to extract the seal down in the bore, so rather than have the car apart and in my way for much too long I'm just going to put in the other one and call it a day. I'll buy the tools and finish the other one up at another time. At this point I want the car drivable and not dumping power steering juice all over the floor.

11. larryderouin

Engine Assy Lube? I'd like to meet the moron who did that and help ya plant that Rack in an orifice! I'd have taken it back and demanded a refund. When I was younger I'd have rebuilt it. But even changing motor mounts anymore on the S-10 or Jimmy is a real non starter. I have to do the Left one on the Truck AGAIN, but this time I'm gonna get a solid mount for the left. I'm tired of the crap design for 98 and up. The Jimmy is a 85 andthe originals finally went last year. So it'll get the standard replacements.
    I've got an ABS Light in the Truck, which is intermittent for about a year now. New sensors up front and it still does it. I don't want to have to put new hubs on it.

With Mikey moving in in 2 months, I've got to make time to change even the oil. We've been cleaning out the basement, and he has me tagging my gear for keep in the house, storage unit, Junk or Goodwill. And the tree wood has to be moved to the back of the yard, dump runs made, etc. etc. and so forth.

I've now got a girlfriend. Whopee! I suggested a camping trip with the Trailer in Aug, and she said yes, so I have to get that back in shape. Mainly bearings. brakes, 2 of 4 tires, battery, gas bottles filled, and all the attendant crap that goes with that.

OH the FUN Never Stops!!!!!

12. gadget73

I found there was a problem after the warranty was up time-wise. Its got like 300 miles on it. I'm rebuilding it, the seal kit was 10 bucks. I can get the tool for less than 20. In the meantime I've got a never-used rebuilt rack from somewhere else that should hopefully work without drama.

Congrats on the lady friend.

13. thornev

Are we talking about tubes and/or MPX in metaphor now? :D

14. gadget73

not even close. This took a hard left. Or a right. Or both perhaps.

15. Catmanboo

Catmanboo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nuttiest thread I've ever read on here, but one must be cognizant of the participants, I suppose!:confused::p:D
    Congrats on the womanoid acquisition, Larry! Proceed with caution, as too many today are borderline nutz, Ime. Do not allow any induced medical malfunctions, though. You're needed here! (Technical & entertainment, ya know?)
    de cat...

16. larryderouin

Thanks Cat. Christa is 4-1/2 months older than I am and retired from EMS like me. Her husband died from the Big "C" after a 17 year battle with it in 2012. We mainly talk shop and what the non EMS world would classify as Horror stories, like guys in vette's plowing into a truck and when they'd pull it out from under, no head. That kind of stuff. Somehow I got this "November born Woman syndrome". MY late Wife on the 23rd, My best friend from the Navy, She was born on the 25th, , and now Christa on the 26th. All three have very similar personalities, so I pretty much can gauge how Christa is going to react to something. All 3 of them were in medicine, and Law Enforcement so I'm keeping it in the Family so to speak. I'd talk to Christa in the ER in one of the hospitals when we'd both either bring in patients or take home 30+ years ago. So it's not that I just met her. And I'm taking it slow! Between the 2 of us, we're a cardiologist's dream to a 2nd Mercedes by ourselves! With my lousy Arteries and her sick sinus syndrome (pacemaker), we really make a pair of cripples, LOL!

The trailer has a couple of Water leaks (internal AND external) that I have to fix yet. Inside is cleaned up, new foam mattress, Privacy curtain, etc. Got grounding problem in the Tank Sensor/Battery level circuits that I have to trace. Gonna have to write Gulfstream and see if they have a wiring schematic for it. The internal leak is in the Cold Water line or connection behind the tub faucet so I have to pull the mattress out to get to it. Whoopee!! The Front Window Awning Frame rivets are popping out so a strap plateand bolts and nuts will take care of that. Caulk around that window and the Awning frame and stop the external leak. Fridge is getting down to 38*F. I haven't done a thing to it other than a new control board 4 years ago. Ammonia based refrigerant AC and Gas Dometic 7CUFT with Freezer. Furnace works, Water htr works on gas and Elect. 4 Burner Stove and the oven all work. No leaks in the gas lines. Got some burned out bulbs on Marker lights and a loos ground on the left tail light. No biggee! I haven't decided to take off the Awning or replace the fabric for $250.00. Guess it's worth it as I looked around for a new awning with frame and all and couldn't touch anything lower than $800.00. So it looks like a replacement job is in the works. All this and I have to find someplace to store all my extra gear and most of my cosoles when my son moves in. Plus finish up the back of the house, and yard.

So lets get this Hijack completed and turn it back over to Thorne who's probably disgusted about now.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread on the MPX-65.
    It's all yours Thorne.

Larry

17. larryderouin

There's a thread in the Stickies about the MPX'ers and swapping a 12at7 into a MPX-65. I don't remember the exact particulars, but it can be done with some adjustments to the circuit. You might find your answer there.

18. larryderouin