Turning British again with an ONIX A60

Montycat

Staff member
Subscriber
Ok, I was never entirely British in any of my systems, and the last significant pieces were my Rega Planar 2 tables of which I have had 2 over a span of 20-some years, the second one being sold 2 or 3 years ago. I've got some Mission speakers too, and maybe some other things. But now I have a serious contender for my top system, a somewhat rare ONIX A60 amplifier made in good ol' bloody England!

I haven't even plugged it in yet and will take my time to do so until I can clean things up around here.

It's a very solid boy and about 25 lbs. Beautiful glossy black and gold. I think it will look and work great with my new RPM 5.1. :)

Onix A60 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Onix A60 Back by Buhduh, on Flickr

Linda's gonna be mad at you!;)

And she wasn't before? :(

I PROMISE I will get rid of some other stuff. Being the mid-fi guy that I am I think I can legitimately say this is likely the best piece of amplification I've had. :D

Hi Montycat,

Hope all is well, I just picked up an A-60 this past weekend. Do you still have yours? How do you like it a year after picking it up?

I don't think to many folks on the site know the company.

Nonetheless, wanted to know how its holding up after a year, and are you still using it? What's your thoughts on the unit a year later?

Kind Regards,
John

Replying to get you an alert... :)

Actually I only kept it about 6 months. Nothing bad to say about it really but tried to downsize somewhat this year (not terribly successfully) and acquired an even more powerful tube amp (a Yaqin MC-10T) to take top spot. The Onix went a long way towards the upgrade.

I hope you enjoy yours. :)

Actually I only kept it about 6 months. Nothing bad to say about it really but tried to downsize somewhat this year (not terribly successfully) and acquired an even more powerful tube amp (a Yaqin MC-10T) to take top spot. The Onix went a long way towards the upgrade.

I hope you enjoy yours. :)

Thanks Montycat,

So far I am enjoying it. While its not an upgrade to my current set up, it is a nice amp. The Yaquin amps are nice, I was looking at one roughly a year ago. I picked up a Qinpu A3 mini tube amp a while back to run in my cube at work. I tend to stick with SS amps. Love tubes, but more of an SS fan.

I have been listening to the unit after work in the evenings, getting some quality time in. I was planning on turning the unit into my bedroom system, but have had a few offers on it already. I do like the simplicity of the unit. I'll be running the unit for the next few weeks to get a good idea of what I like and don't like about it. As of now, I'm undecided as to what I'm going to do with it. Either way, for what I paid for it, and the cond. I'm already on the + side.

I think you and I are the only 2 folks on AK who have posted anything regarding Onix...

Kind Regards,
John

ONIX A120 here, super bargain off Craigslist.

IMG_20160924_090107.jpg

Back
Top Bottom