Turns out I have my first CD player, but in a different shape box

wa2ise

My first CD player was a Yamaha CDX2 (IIRC the model number). "Natural sound 2X oversampling" it proclaimed on the front of the cabinet. Bought it in 1985, it died in 1990. But stripped out the boards and transport mechanism for the scrap junk box. Well, at a flea market I picked up a "Fisher Studio Standard" AD834. Well, this player uses nearly the same circuit board and transport (the part number printed on the board is somewhat different
so there must be some trivial difference). The chips are all the same, specifically the chips around the DAC. A Burr Brown PCM53JP-V. Then both separate the left and right audio with sample and hold circuits in the audio domain. Well, what can I say, both Yamaha and whoever it is that bought the Fisher brand name both cheaped out....

In any event, I don't have to hunt for a Yamaha CD player on evil bay to listen to my first CD player as I essentially have it inside the box marked "Fisher" In the Fisher I added a direct heated triode output
stage. See http://pw2.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/tubedac.htm#dhtdac
though to do it right I'd change the DAC to the current output instead of the voltage output one there.

Yamaha's cabinet was about 4 inches shorter across than the Fisher, which is the standard width across for modern audio boxes.

BTW, what are the "index" buttons for on the CD player?

I'd assume the same reason they are on fancier VHS systems...to play a certain segment of a track, often over and over. I've heard the VHS system called "VISS" or something similar...

The index was a track marker-within-a-track. Good for opera (or audio-books), to help going over the 99 track markers limit. It was never widely used (if at all), just like the TOC on a DAT tape...

I didn't need to mess around like that...another Sony CDP-190 showed up in the pawn store and I greedily snatched it. End of story :thmbsp:

Speaking of that, I think the Sherwood I just transplanted feet on will donate to the other Sony...I was right about the good day hunch :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom