Turntable and speaker suggestions

RichRosey

I just reclaimed my Sherwood 7100a receiver I purchased back in 1974 from my son who had taken it off to college in 2000. He now is married with 3 kids and it was just sitting in a corner of their house along with 5 crates of records. When I original purchased it I had a BIC turntable and speakers. They are long gone but I still have lots of old vinyl I'd like to listen to again. I have no idea what a good turntable or speakers would be for this receiver. I plugged it in and found an old speaker from some discarded audio unit and it still has life. Can anyone help direct me to turntable options(100-200) and (20-24 watt) possible speakers? Thanks so much. I was excited when I searched and found this site and see others who are using this old equipment. Lots of memories tied up in this unit. I just retired after 38 years in education and thought this might be a fun diversion.

Pretty much any JBL or Klipsch speaker systems in your price range will compliment the Sherwood and not require a lot of power to move them.... I used to sell Sherwood equipment way back then, and I remember some units that were a creamy white with silver like trim ..... they were very nice units and worked well with JBL and Altec speakers.

For a turntable.... I would pair up a good used United Audio Dual turntable (1219, 1229, or similar) ........... just my thoughts on the match ups way back then.

I love the old Snells. The E II's, if original, are a great speaker. Type C's, if in good shape, even better. Just watch out for the wrong surrounds being used in a reform job. Also, if you wish to recap the crossover, do it EXACTLY to the original. I had my E II's done by Gordonw, and he did an amazing job.

How much room do you have? Or, more importantly, how much room can the system take up, especially the speakers. Are there any good used audio equipment shops in your area? For instance, I looked around a used shop yesterday and spotted a pair of nice looking Spicas (the right triangle monitor kind) for $150 and was tempted, even though I have no need for another pair. There were a lot of other nice sets as well. None of the turntables that caught my attention were under $200, although a couple at $400 did.

If you want to buy new, there's the U-Turn Orbit, which starts under your budget. I haven't heard one in person, but they seem nice. I do have one of their Pluto phono preamps and like it. For speakers Elacs have been getting a lot of good press, but I haven't heard them. I'd probably consider the Ascend Acoustics monitors currently on sale. I haven't heard them either, but I really like a pair of the company's Sierra-1s I bought early last year.

Back
Top Bottom