Turntable cable

Suggestion #2:
Buy 4 feet of inexpensive cable and 2 RCA jacks like Switchcraft or similar which are also inexpensive. The tech should not have to drill holes just use the existing exit hole. Have him take old cable off completely and solder the new cable to the table internally then run cable out back of table using existing exit path then solder on the new RCA’s.

I wanted to do that but when I suggested it to the technician, his face told me he doesnt feel like drilling holes in the TT body and installing them for me.
As long as your paying him why does he care? It's a half hour job at most and there is plenty space to drill the holes and running wires from the tonearm to the new RCA jacks is a piece of cake that takes maybe five minutes. Maybe you should find another technician.

Where are you? I was going to suggest my favorite Mogami cables, but again, location matters... They are much smaller than BJC but almost as good capacitance wise.

I live in Romania so for you guys it may be easy to find turntable parts replacement very easy but for me it isn't.

As long as your paying him why does he care? It's a half hour job at most and there is plenty space to drill the holes and running wires from the tonearm to the new RCA jacks is a piece of cake that takes maybe five minutes. Maybe you should find another technician.

You have no idea how services people act in Romania.
It doesn't matter that you're paying them, they act as if they are doing you a favor.
And you can count in the fingers of one hand the technicians who know how to fix turntables or are willing to.

I live in Romania so for you guys it may be easy to find turntable parts replacement very easy but for me it isn't. You have no idea how services people act in Romania. It doesn't matter that you're paying them, they act as if they are doing you a favor. And you can count in the fingers of one hand the technicians who know how to fix turntables or are willing to.
I live in the US — but not always. I also lived in countries like you describe. But there always seems to be a group of audio enthusiasts with a much different attitude. Find them and they'll welcome you, and be eager to help. I don't know where you live in Romania, but there must be such groups in Bucharest at least.

Now I am more confused than before.
Some people say that the AV cable that I ordered are ok.
Others say that they aren't and give me alternatives that are more expensive than my turntable.
I guess I may have bitten more than I could chew.

AV cables will work but you will need some technical skills in order to install the RCA jacks or to open the turntable and modify to cables to solder directly.

Yes, I wouldn't worry about those cables. They will work. Others MIGHT work better but the differences will likely be subtle.

You can teach yourself to solder. It's not that hard if you take your time. There are lots of YouTube and other how-to resources. Grab some old electronics to practice on.

Fair enough on Romania being difficult. I still suggest using a Mogami WR-xx cable where xx is the length in feet. Last TT I had that needed a new cable I used a WR-06 and still have the other half. Maybe do a web search and see if you can find it?

Also if finding a good tech is difficult maybe your money would be better spent on buying yourself a soldering station? This isn't a hard job and we'll walk you through it.

I'm now getting a hum on my VPI Prime Scout - brand new. everything is grounded. hum is only when I switch over to the TT on my McIntosh C28. TT is connected to an MP100 phono preamp. when nothing is playing, you can hear the hum as you increase the volume. annoying as hell. Can't fix it. switched interconnects, switched to directly into the C28, etc. nada...it's fecked.

There will always be some hum, but my Dual 1229Q into Lux TP-117 is barely audible. If it's noticeable enough to be annoying, something is wrong.

I don't have any hum.

What equipment do you have? Dedicated power lines? Very curious how you have got rid of all turntable hum.

Very little hum on my main MC system, but my bedroom system with a Dual 1009 SK with MM cart has audible hum when there is no music playing, at loud volumes.

What equipment do you have? Dedicated power lines? Very curious how you have got rid of all turntable hum.

Very little hum on my main MC system, but my bedroom system with a Dual 1009 SK with MM cart has audible hum when there is no music playing, at loud volumes.

Excellent question!

To get a hum free vinyl system, you have to attack the problem from several different angles:

1. Power amplifier(s) need to be located as far as possible away from turntables, phono preamps and line preamps.
2. The phono cartridge needs to be compatible with the turntable. An example of this is running a Grado cartridge in a Rega table (results in hum).
3. Audio interconnects need to be heavily shielded and away from transformers (including wall warts). I use my own DIY cables.
4. Phono preamp and line preamp sheet metal cases should be of a heavy gauge steel (or other materials (i.e. copper, heavy aluminum).
5. Noise drain of turntable (if using a stand alone phono preamp) may benefit from being attached to the line preamp, rather then the phono preamp. In my case, I have 3 turntables, connected to 3 stand alone phono preamps with noise drain attached to the line preamp, not the phono preamp.
6. All lighting should be on a separate branch circuit.
7. Any dimmers for LED lighting should be on a separate circuit and should be the LC type dimmer.
8. No cable TV coax should be part of the system, unless completely isolated. (best to have a separate system for video viewing).

and lastly, turning your volume control on the line stage preamp to full volume to see if you have any hum is not a great idea. Accidents can happen and speaker damage will occur. BTW, as I claimed, I have no hum element (even at full volume), but there is hiss, caused by the incredible amount of gain on the phono stage. If you have hum at 9 o'clock volume position, you have a problem. If you have hum at 12 o'clock volume position, you have a slight problem. If you have hum at a 3 o'clock position, you really don't have a problem and are certainly in the danger zone.

Wayner

Excellent question!

To get a hum free vinyl system, you have to attack the problem from several different angles:

1. Power amplifier(s) need to be located as far as possible away from turntables, phono preamps and line preamps.
2. The phono cartridge needs to be compatible with the turntable. An example of this is running a Grado cartridge in a Rega table (results in hum).
3. Audio interconnects need to be heavily shielded and away from transformers (including wall warts). I use my own DIY cables.
4. Phono preamp and line preamp sheet metal cases should be of a heavy gauge steel (or other materials (i.e. copper, heavy aluminum).
5. Noise drain of turntable (if using a stand alone phono preamp) may benefit from being attached to the line preamp, rather then the phono preamp. In my case, I have 3 turntables, connected to 3 stand alone phono preamps with noise drain attached to the line preamp, not the phono preamp.
6. All lighting should be on a separate branch circuit.
7. Any dimmers for LED lighting should be on a separate circuit and should be the LC type dimmer.
8. No cable TV coax should be part of the system, unless completely isolated. (best to have a separate system for video viewing).

and lastly, turning your volume control on the line stage preamp to full volume to see if you have any hum is not a great idea. Accidents can happen and speaker damage will occur. BTW, as I claimed, I have no hum element (even at full volume), but there is hiss, caused by the incredible amount of gain on the phono stage. If you have hum at 9 o'clock volume position, you have a problem. If you have hum at 12 o'clock volume position, you have a slight problem. If you have hum at a 3 o'clock position, you really don't have a problem and are certainly in the danger zone.

Wayner

Thanks, Wayner!

Not sure what you mean by "noise drain" in No. 5. Could you please elaborate?

EDIT: I am assuming it means "ground"?

Back
Top Bottom