Turntable Dust Cover: Up Or Down

Turntable Dust Cover Position?

• Up

• Down

• It Depends

• Don't Have One

Results are only viewable after voting.
OFF !

And hung on the wall close by. Since I have a dust cover again that is. Can't vote for the pole though... The last TT that had hinges where never screwed on.

Now with my DIY solid wood plinth, I bought me one of these rather simple plexiglass sheet bent to rest on the platter and over the tonearm onto the plinth.

This prevent the dust to cover the record matt while the TT is at rest and allows to hung over my en-lengthen tonearm both on the headshell side and on the counterweight.

To my eyes they where always as ugly as the veggie box from the fridge and as a 45 swift swapper on a revolving platter they were always in the way even when sitting "up".

Last edited:
The other key thing to consider is whether your turntable is level with the lid up or down. Lids are quite heavy and when raised, lid mass is concentrated on the rear feet, when lowered, the mass is spread more evenly. If you level your deck with the lid up and play it with the lid down- it won't be level...

Down. I did an experiment recording the TT output (stylus on groove - not spinning) while playing a CD track through speakers about 4 ft away and analyzing the waveform in my recording software. Got about 1.5 db less feedback with the cover down.

On my JVC QL Y66F I have to take it off do to where my turntables sits. Not enough space to install the cover in it's hinges. So I take it off.

My Dual 1245 has a tensioned hinged dust cover that allows it to stay in any position you leave it. Sometimes I close it... especially if others might be in the room where it might get 'bumped'... but other than that I leave it mostly open when using it because it looks kind of neat and I like to see it playing the record.

I voted "It depends." The dust covers on my VPI Aries and Classic are plinth-top models with no hinges, so they're off while playing a record and on for protection when not. The covers on my HW-19 and Kenwood KD-500 are hinged, so I leave'em up while in use.

Always off these days (not just up), because one of the hinges on my B&O RX is broken and I haven't fixed it yet.

20180701_110838.jpg

Back
Top Bottom