Turntable Mat Destroyed My LP Collection...

Get a new rubber mat and only leave records on it while they are playing, you won't have any issues that way :)

The discussion about lengthy contact with the mat may be moot. As I examine for damaged record to try salvage remedies, it occurred to me that, of course, MOST records were played and put right back in the jacket. The point being, just short contact may have left residue which continued to deteriorate the LP while in storage.

Again, I'm still figuring this out. Here I'm seeing "Southside Johny and Asbury Jukes" with damage. So that LP has probably not been played since 2004 when I set up my system after moving. Before that, just in the 1980s.
I played it last month to check my new JBL speakers and know for sure it was put back as I played another LP immediately afterward.

I have a Tri Pad and your suppose to use it with the cork side up. I do not notice any deterioration of it on either side.
Mine was sold by Monster. Maybe yours was an older one before Monster sold them.

31327204937_abaa9b1748_b.jpg

Athanasios

There are some folks making mats out of the perforated "tool box" liner. I have this material in my tool box. It has left marks on my adjustable square's ruler, so to me, that is evidence that it is off-gasing and breaking down. Unfortunately the off-gas material is plating itself to what ever its in contact with. I don't know if your mat is made of this stuff, but any one using it for a mat should find a new mat.

I damaged a Technics SL-B3 dust cover by having that rubberized shelving liner on the top it! I tried washing it with "Dawn" dish detergent, used Goo Gone, and polished it with Meguiar's plastic polish, and that pattern is still embedded on the dust cover!! :mad:

Seemingly all of the sudden I have noticed some oddball destruction of my LPs. I though it might be heat damage or fungus. The damaged area aligns correctly with an aftermarket foam rubber turntable mat that came with my 1990s Technics turntable.

When I examine the turntable mat I see it is turning into a gummy mess.

What I think has happened is that I left LPs on that turntable mat for sometimes months at a time.

I tried cleaning off the damage on the vinyl, but it is permanent destruction of vinyl.

Turntable is Technics SL D2 and a new Technics 1200 rubber mat seems to fit perfectly.

Destruction = 1/3 of all the music.

Saved= sometimes most favorable side of an LP is preserved because it was the up-side.
Saved= sometimes the outer most tracks are damaged, and the inner tracks were preserved.

Pictures will follow.
the SL-D2 stock mats did this i have repaired one with a diff issue but i noticed this also, and others have posted the same.

"Goof off" does not remove it. Looks to be damage or melting of the vinyl.
The thing about leaving a LP for a month would be nice to be the cause, because only that single LP would have been damaged. Looks like EVERY LP I played since last August is damaged.

IMG_2692.JPGIMG_2690.JPGIMG_2691.JPG

So, this whole adventure is one of those "what was I thinking" or "not thinking." One only needs to re-foam one speaker or re-do light traps on one film camera to know how that kind of foam deteriorates. This looks like the same stuff. I had it on my turntable all these years and did not think about it until now that it is too late.

FX3 Light Seal.JPG

"Goof off" does not remove it. Looks to be damage or melting of the vinyl.
The thing about leaving a LP for a month would be nice to be the cause, because only that single LP would have been damaged. Looks like EVERY LP I played since last August is damaged.

View attachment 1391591View attachment 1391592View attachment 1391594
Yeah it's happening right away, try some straight 90% alcohol to wash off the goo. It could have etched the vinyl once stuck to it for a long tine.

I have a Tri Pad and your suppose to use it with the cork side up. I do not notice any deterioration of it on either side.
Mine was sold by Monster. Maybe yours was an older one before Monster sold them.

31327204937_abaa9b1748_b.jpg

Athanasios
Makes sense, as the only writing on mine is on the cork-side-up. Somehow never looked 'right' that way, so, since mid 1990s, I always had it the other way :(
I guess if I had been using it cork-up, I would not notice the deteriorating foam for a year or two from now when it permanently makes a goopy mess and sticks to the platen.

Last edited:
A decade or so ago mats made of shelf-liner (also used to keep loose carpets from sliding) were sold cheap, in huge numbers; a kind of perforated foam. Called 'None-Felt' or something. I made one. Left a record on it for a month when I rotated turntables. One side was not just damaged, but mutilated. Huge ulcerated bumps like leprosy. Gross. Rare and valuable LP too.

I later read warnings not to leave it on "too long." That's lousy reasoning: the chemical interaction starts with first contact. The longer they're in contact the worse it gets, but it's causing damage from the first seconds. God only knows how many records were ruined by this quick-buck fad.

There are some folks making mats out of the perforated "tool box" liner. I have this material in my tool box. It has left marks on my adjustable square's ruler, so to me, that is evidence that it is off-gasing and breaking down. Unfortunately the off-gas material is plating itself to what ever its in contact with. I don't know if your mat is made of this stuff, but any one using it for a mat should find a new mat.
I noticed this also. I stripped that stuff out of my tool box drawers awhile back. It gets sold to use under rugs so they don't slip on hard surface floors also. I saw the same thing. The stuff left ugly Mark's on the flooring.

I damaged a Technics SL-B3 dust cover by having that rubberized shelving liner on the top it! I tried washing it with "Dawn" dish detergent, used Goo Gone, and polished it with Meguiar's plastic polish, and that pattern is still embedded on the dust cover!! :mad:
Definitely avoid!!

Great thread and thank you for the pics. IMHO, this thread could be sticky-worthy in Music (Vinyl) Forums. :thumbsup:

Seems like user error played a factor in the 'quicker' degradation of these LPs. However, as @luvvinvinyl and @WaynerN both mentioned time (age), off-gassing of material, and temperature are key factors. Interesting as I thought that silicone-base products might be somewhat immune but unfortunately not in temperature extremes.

https://imageserv5.team-logic.com/mediaLibrary/99/Outgassing_20of_20Silicone_20Elastomers.pdf

Proper 'post-curing' of not only silicone-based but also rubber-based products decreased the off-gas effect. In the case of using such chemicals as for TT platter mats, I'm sure the 'post cure-rate' was cut to get them on the market faster and more economically.

Key take-aways:
1) Remove LP from TT after each playing.
2) Inspect TT mat frequently for foreign matter (dust, etc.) and degradation.
3) Store LP in suitable archival liner and cover.
4) Consider temperature extremes during play and storage.

I can't say I have ever tried Goof Off to clean a record, for some people they might find it works well, but from this poster, you will never see me use Goof Off to clean any of my records. I tried it once to clean some tape residue off a CD jewel case and it damaged the plastic cover, just to aggressive on plastic for me to use on a record.

These should work well and you should never have to worry about mat breakdown again.

http://anamightysound.com/shop/accessories/puresound-tenuto-the-gunmetal-mat/

I can't say I have ever tried Goof Off to clean a record, for some people they might find it works well, but from this poster, you will never see me use Goof Off to clean any of my records. I tried it once to clean some tape residue off a CD jewel case and it damaged the plastic cover, just to aggressive on plastic for me to use on a record.
WD-40 works on styrene and other plastics without risk.

Back
Top Bottom