Turntable Mat Destroyed My LP Collection...

My recommendation to avoid bonding the mat to the platter is for mats on metallic platters, otherwise, follow the recommendations of the oem.

Great, another thing to worry about besides dust, scratches, static, interference, resonance, feedback, rumble, footfalls, vibrations, distortion, VTF, VTA, rake, stylus wear, wow, bearing friction and acts of god.
...probably missed something.

That grit that has bonded with the vinyl grooves may well go away if the record is cleaned in an ultrasonic bath. My experience is that Ultrasound works great to remove excess dirt. My unit helped me salvage a great cart that I managed to wreck: An MC cart that I managed to land on an LP that I was processing with wood glue on the turntable. The glue surrounded the cantilever and rendered the cart useless. I kept that and years later I dipped it just slightly in the bath of the Ultrasound machine and the glue just melted and went away. Not even needed to heat the bath. I soaked the cart with 99% alcohol to remove any traces of water and it has been working again fine for years.

Great, another thing to worry about besides dust, scratches, static, interference, resonance, feedback, rumble, footfalls, vibrations, distortion, VTF, VTA, rake, stylus wear, wow, bearing friction and acts of god.
...probably missed something.
Precisely why I had high hopes for a format that had none of the physical problems. One that turned out having it's own unanticipated unintentional problems.

These records can not be salvaged, most likely its an Adiouquest mat made from sorbothane or something like it. The vinyl is blistered, had the same thing happen with much less time spent on the mat. The AQ mat was $90, I had two so the damage was twice as extensive. Some the blisters are faint and scattered with the records still playable, others not so much.
I had one ages ago totally useless POS. If anyone is still using one, throw it in the trash

Back
Top Bottom