Turntable recommendation to compliment my MAC 4100

For years VPI scouts have been recommended highly and can be upgraded if you wish. Maybe a pre-owned one would work for you. Then later on you can change feet, add a balanced flywheel, and a synthetic arm, and be playing ball with the big boys.

Based upon this link:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-115d.shtml

Your turntable is a good one but IMHO not up to the level of your Mac. I call your attention to the specs for wow and flutter (0.07%) and signal to noise (rumble) (50 dB). In comparison, a pioneer PL7 direct drive can meet wow and flutter of 0.025% and rumble of -78 dB. This is the same performance level of the Technics SL1200, one of the best consumer grade turntables made back in the day.

The advice to upgrade the cartridge and wait on the turntable is reasonably good advice, but it also comes with some built in risk (relatively small but real). The compliance of cartridge and the mass of the tonearm make up a resonant system. The resonant frequency of the system is critical to proper tracking of the stylus in the grove. Small mismatches can result in skips from footfalls. Large ones can lead to the stylus skipping simply playing a record. A friend of mine once gave me a Shure V15 III because it would not track properly in his Empire turntable, where a Stanton worked perfectly. Getting the cartridge now, to match the tonearm you have, may push you to a future turntable with an arm of similar mass later, that may, or may not, be your first choice.

I am not saying you should not do this, just that you should be aware of this consideration.

Good Luck

Shelly_D

Edit: Corrected wow and flutter spec for the PL-7.

Last edited:
I agree with the idea that a better cartridge on a mid-level table will out perform a lesser cartridge on a great table. Obviously that leads to the better cartridge matched to a great table and arm being the best choice. One of the things I have become fond of is some of the vintage cartridges from back in the early to mid 60's. ADC-1, Elac STS series, Empire 1000 ZE/X, Shure M3D, etc.. Really surprised by the sound quality these provide. Are they the best? No but they are pleasing to my ears and provide a unique sound. I use these in tables like the 50H, Rek-o-kut Rondine Deluxe, Empire 598 and Thorens 111. Fun stuff all the way around.

can anyone identify this stylus for me? the only markings are this logo, along with 'made in japan' and the numbers 5 0 7 on the top...thank you! :)
.ar stylus unknown.jpg

Looks like the suspension on yours has taken a set, most likely improperly set up antiskate over the years has caused it to favor the bias.....

I have a similar cartridge rattling around here, I guessed it was a OEM labeled for Linn. Looks like their logo I think.

I don't know why people are recommending turntables that DON'T cost $500. But you wanted opinions this is mine, get the AR table with a nice cartridge from that era. Have a upgraded stylus mounted and you will be good to go. Regarding your McIntosh speakers, I don't know why they don't get much credit for their sound. I went through the stereo system heyday in the 70's and heard a pair of MAC 3 way box speakers and they sounded great. So much so that I remember them to this day, they really stood out from the other speakers of the day....

I don't know why people are recommending turntables that DON'T cost $500. But you wanted opinions this is mine, get the AR table with a nice cartridge from that era. Have a upgraded stylus mounted and you will be good to go. Regarding your McIntosh speakers, I don't know why they don't get much credit for their sound. I went through the stereo system heyday in the 70's and heard a pair of MAC 3 way box speakers and they sounded great. So much so that I remember them to this day, they really stood out from the other speakers of the day....

I just purchased an AR (from Canada, if it makes any difference), the stylus pictured above is what came with it, I wanted to get the model identified to set up the table.

I don't mind the Mac speakers I have, in fact I really liked them, until I set them next to my JBL L96's, which imho sound better.

Good day all! :)

Just put together my system, a McIntosh MAC 4100 hooked up through Mac XR14's and Acoustic Research AR-2ax speakers (still working on the 3rd pair).

Currently utilizing a Pioneer PL115d turntable with an Audio Technica AT120E cartridge, looking to upgrade this piece, my budget is around $500 (but could go more).

I do have some responses (and background) on my original post looking for speakers HERE.
Thank you all in advance, this newbie appreciates the information you are all willing to share! :music:

Are you looking for a period correct table that performs? An Empire 698 could fall within your budget if you are patient. These were manufactured from 1976 - 1980. However, I would recommend the earlier Empire 598 (manufactured from 1969 - 1976) for enhanced reliability (piston lever cuing is more reliable on the 598 vs the electronic cuing on the 698).

Are you looking for a period correct table that performs? An Empire 698 could fall within your budget if you are patient. These were manufactured from 1976 - 1980. However, I would recommend the earlier Empire 598 (manufactured from 1969 - 1976) for enhanced reliability (piston lever cuing is more reliable on the 598 vs the electronic cuing on the 698).

I looked at the Empire 598, I opted for an AR table...currently I would like advice on platter mats for this table if anyone has some. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom