Turntable upgrade, opinions on Pioneer Pl series

RowJimmy

I currently own a Technics SL-B210 turntable and it's time for a better one. I got this for free so it gets the job done and I'm not one to complain when it comes to free stuff but it does not sound good. It's cheap, has a straight non-adjustable tone arm, a complete lack of anti-skating and no ground wire so there's considerable buzzing at any listenable volume as well as a large amount of clipping.

I have a Pioneer SX-650 receiver so I was hoping to pair it with a similarly aged Pioneer turntable to match. I don't know too much about turntables but I'm willing to spend up to $200 which I think should get me a decent quality turntable and improve the sound of my records.

I saw a few of the PL series turntables (such as 55X, A35, 12D etc.) on eBay and I wanted to know what to look for when searching and which ones to steer away from because of known problems.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I have a PL41D in my collection, belt drive and all metal chassis with a nice walnut plinth. Maybe something like that would match up nice. Sure has a nice build quality and sounds pretty good.

BillWojo

I think most of the pioneer series of turntables is solid reliability wise, especially so if they've been serviced.

I think the main thing to consider is what you're looking for. Do you need auto functions? Do you care if it's belt drive or DD and with the latter, do you want quartz lock or do you care?

Be careful on eBay with pioneer, since they're a name brand sellers try to sell anything vintage and pioneer as "high end". The PL-12D for example, is a competent enough table, but it was originally a budget priced item that performed well for it's price but was outclassed by the higher end models. On eBay they're almost constantly billed as an expensive an high end device if they're in good shape and have the prices to match.

Right now, I have a Pioneer PL12D, and a Marantz 6200. Also, a Garrard Lab 80 (that is not quite ready to use). The Pioneer is the one I use most, because, it is the one that is currently hooked up to my SX1010. I bought it new in 1976 and it has the original Empire Cartridge on it with a conical stylus. I know it is an "entry level" TT. But, it is no slouch. Works like the day I first bought it.

I have a PL41D in my collection, belt drive and all metal chassis with a nice walnut plinth. Maybe something like that would match up nice. Sure has a nice build quality and sounds pretty good.

BillWojo

This is the reason I would love to have something vintage. A nice mix of solid wood and metal with quality build design.

I think most of the pioneer series of turntables is solid reliability wise, especially so if they've been serviced.

I think the main thing to consider is what you're looking for. Do you need auto functions? Do you care if it's belt drive or DD and with the latter, do you want quartz lock or do you care?

Be careful on eBay with pioneer, since they're a name brand sellers try to sell anything vintage and pioneer as "high end". The PL-12D for example, is a competent enough table, but it was originally a budget priced item that performed well for it's price but was outclassed by the higher end models. On eBay they're almost constantly billed as an expensive an high end device if they're in good shape and have the prices to match.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Auto functions are not a priority for me and as for the different drives, they both have different advantages obviously, but i'm not particular in which I get.
Honestly I would like a vintage Pioneer so I'm able to match the aesthetic of my receiver, but ultimately I just want high quality sound from my vinyl. I would consider a modern turntable if that is a better option for good sound.

Don't know about the others, but I'm fond of my PL-55X. Works surprisingly well considering it spent 30 plus years in an outdoor storage shed in New York. It needed some work to get it back to 100%, but nothing too horrible. Sounds good, easy to work on, and parts aren't hard to find.

This is the reason I would love to have something vintage. A nice mix of solid wood and metal with quality build design.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Auto functions are not a priority for me and as for the different drives, they both have different advantages obviously, but i'm not particular in which I get.
Honestly I would like a vintage Pioneer so I'm able to match the aesthetic of my receiver, but ultimately I just want high quality sound from my vinyl. I would consider a modern turntable if that is a better option for good sound.

As peerson mentioned, the PL-12D is a fine performer, it's just not the last name in tonearm design etc. It'll definitely sound better than anything you can get new on a $200 budget.

Of the vintage stuff I'm personally fond of the mid-70's DD Servo and Quartz lock stuff. Less likely to have speed issues and the spindle bearings seem to be more robust on the DD stuff.

This thread might be useful: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-are-the-top-vintage-pioneer-turntables.216933/

The PL-550 is gorgeous and would match your aesthetic while being full auto/quartz lock but I'm not sure you're going to find one under $300 or so.

The PL-7 and PL-9 are real solid performers that tend to fly well below the radar for cost. My PL-7 is terrific. Although they are lightweights, if placed on a vibration free location, like a wall shelf, they will deliver the performance of a Technics SL 1200. (They do need the help of a very solid mounting however to do that.)

The sweet thing is that the PL-7 can often be had for less the $100.

Shelly_D

I've got a PL-7 that I'm working to restore at the moment. :)

Unfortunately I didn't do the math when I bought it, and even though my purchase price was bottom basement, the parts cost to make it "complete" rivals buying a complete one that doesn't need work...

I'm consoling myself that when I'm done there will be one more vintage pioneer that still functions in the world. I'll probably sell it at a slight loss when I finish fixing it and purchase one that's in a bit better cosmetic condition and has hinges etc included.

I own a pl-560. Not the black plastic version. I don't know why they used the same model number for two very different tables... I like it. Any of the pl series that has a solid plinth are a pretty good choice.. You will want to upgrade the headshell. The original Pioneer headshells kind of suck. So if you find one without the headshell you should be able to get a better deal.. I also have a similar technics to the one you have. The Pioneer is much better.. But, the technics 1300 that I have is pretty close..

I've got a PL-7 that I'm working to restore at the moment. :)

Unfortunately I didn't do the math when I bought it, and even though my purchase price was bottom basement, the parts cost to make it "complete" rivals buying a complete one that doesn't need work...

I'm consoling myself that when I'm done there will be one more vintage pioneer that still functions in the world. I'll probably sell it at a slight loss when I finish fixing it and purchase one that's in a bit better cosmetic condition and has hinges etc included.

Member Beej restores these on a regular basis and has a great disassembly reassembly guide that could help you. You might want to contact him. He's super friendly and just as helpful.

Shelly_D

I recently bought a very mint PL 518. It was a mid range direct drive tt from around 1978. I like it a lot and it should play well with your 650.

I have a 650 too. Currently on the bench, but it's a very nice receiver built before quality tanked and manufacturer's began producing black plastic crap.

+1 on the PL-518/540. Good, solid DD's that are reasonably easy to refinish to suit your style (and you'll want to, the metallic vinyl has not aged well). They were plentiful enough that finding and affording one is still not an unreasonable prospect. Heck, I found mine here in rural Alaska, in good shape at a fair price.
PL-530's up thru 630's get commensurately more complex and pricey.

The Sl B210 is a P mount table. Though it isn't the greatest thing ever made, the design of the the T4p system means that the stylus is always automatically aligned , has the proper tracking force and the proper antiskating force. I'm not a big Technics fan, but their Pmounts sound remarkable good for their price points. Certainly non T4p tables allow more choices in cartridges, and other tables may be nicer looking and allow more fussing, but recognize that not all adjustments get made correctly - the whole point of the T4p system was to make sure people couldn't screw up. I would not necessarily bet on other reasonably priced tables to sound that much better (or better at all) than what you have.
You can always try stuffing the plastic plinth with clay or playdough and see if that improves performance.

I just swapped out one of my PL-630s for my PL-640. Currently listening to Maynard Ferguson's Chameleon. To my old rusty ears it sounds ever bit as good on both TTs. They can be had for pretty cheap too.

It came with the original PN-5MC stylus. It's a HOMC (high output moving coil) cart. No need for an additional amp as with a normal moving coil cart.

Maybe it's the nice stylus or the tone arm or the overall assembly by it is very underrated IMHO.

I don't now if it would sound as good with an aftermarket stylus or not. Not too much info out there on these.

Back
Top Bottom