Turntables, cartridges, SUT Help needed

Bugler

I recently got a Denon DP45-F turntable. It had the original Denon DL-60 cartridge on it. Though it sounded ok the stylus has seen better days, plus I wanted to install my Grado Gold1 on it anyway. Guess what, Grado hum. Crap, I can't win. I installed my Audio Technica AT30E MC cartridge to try it out on this turntable. Out of curiosity I first tried it without the SUT and surprisingly it's not bad. I figured the volume would be way down but it's only reduced by a little bit. What gives? I have it fed into a Gold Aero DB45 Signature phono pre then into an aux input on my Carver C-5 pre-amp. I have no owner's manual on the DB45 so not sure it's set up right. I have it set up with none of the four auxiliary resister plugs. Should I take the time to install my SUT? Help!
Also, anybody have a clue as to where to buy headshells for it? I bought a few off eBay and they were no good.
Sometimes I think of dumping all my turntables, records, tape decks and tapes and going all digital. My brother went that route and now I see why.

Signed,
Frustrated

Sorry to hear about your hum issue, I hadn't heard of that problem on the Denon. If you don't currently have a good vinyl collection, your brother may be right, vinyl may be more trouble than it is worth. All I can tell you is that, when it is setup right vinyl surprises me in what I can retrieve from those little groves, It takes a lot of effort and education to do it right, and the vinyl that is out there is getting more costly by the minute. LP Gear may have what you need for the headshell.

I have a pretty large vinyl collection dating back to the 60's that I bought new when they were released. The Denon is fine with other cartridges. Only problem is the Grado hum. Plus I have my trusted ReVox I've had since mid 80's and a couple JVC tables from late 70's. I also have a pretty large reel to reel and cassette tape collection. I much prefer analog sound.

Back
Top Bottom