Tutorial: "Deep Cleaning" An Amplifier

I used these instructions to clean a Pioneer QX-949, it was an ashtray for a previous owner. I set the receiver to dry next to my woodstove and now it smells like a fireplace. What do I do?

j/k :D

Thanks for taking the time to compile this instruction set. I am sure it will be great help to many.:thmbsp::thmbsp:

hi! not clear how to remove the transformer - solder points are on the bottom of the main pcb, and i have no access to there. thanks, B

hi! not clear how to remove the transformer - solder points are on the bottom of the main pcb, and i have no access to there. thanks, B

If the wires are soldered in such a way then the bottom panel must be removable.

If not then try removing the PCB and then desolder the wires from the underside.

What amplifier is this?

If the wires are soldered in such a way then the bottom panel must be removable.

If not then try removing the PCB and then desolder the wires from the underside.

What amplifier is this?
It's a vintage Dual CR5950 stereo receiver, would love to be able to dismantle and clean it...

It's a vintage Dual CR5950 stereo receiver, would love to be able to dismantle and clean it...

I am not familiar with DUAL equipment, sorry. But do try and see if you can lift the PCB up and desolder the wires in that manner. :scratch2:

Abrieviated cleaning procedure

I'm looking for a quick bit of re-assurance on something. I recently cleaned an old Pioneer SX-1000TA using a half bottle of Windex, and it seems to have done a pretty good job. I let it dry for a week before I plugged it back in. The FM section is still out, but everything that worked before worked after.

I'm looking to do the same with my Pioneer SX-1080. I've read many posts that discourage getting the tranformer and related bits soaked. I plan on taking a damp cloth to those parts, and protecting them with cardboard or other material while I bathe the rest of the unit. I should be in the clear, right? I wouldn't mind taking the whole thing apart except I don't have any of the gear to put it back together (soldering iron, etc). I really just want to wash away a lot of the dust and gunk. Funny how you just set out to tidy up the pots and take care of the static, and end up doing much more.

Bathtub it bro. The 1080 has that big torroidal transformer which is relatively protected and nothing else to really worry about. I'd easily give one of those a light wash without disassembly if it was just a basic dust-and-cat-hair situation.

Now I do NOT mean submerse it, which is where you'd get into trouble, but what I'd do is (after pulling the knobs & front panel) put it in sink/tub (I use a rubbermaid dish tray underneath to protect both unit and porcelain), get some hot soapy water and a medium soft paint brush. first just wet it down from the top, then go around scrubbing with the paint brush and soapy water. if you get the right bristle stiffness it will scrub muck away pretty well without being able to push components around (you obv don't want to make something short out because you bent the leads over). then douche liberally with clean water for a rinse.

Now this is relatively safe but I still try to do it quickly to minimize any soaking-into-crevices and joints that might happen. For a basic unit I'm usually done in 2-3 minutes.

Also be very careful around the tuner bits. If you bend or tweak the variable capacitor fins at all your whole tuner will be outa whack and need a realignment. Same for my comments about inductors above.

After that, I have the benefit of giant cast iron radiators in my place, so I'll put the bare unit (still with front panel / knobs / case off) right on one of those that doesn't get too hot, with a fan across it for hours. It's be a nice super-low-temperature bake to dry everything right out.

Once that first wash is done depending on the unit I might have to go back with solvents for spot cleaning. Or if there's still some water spots left, a rag with some alcohol or windex on flat surfaces (think outsides of big filter capacitors, tops of transformers, etc.)

I'm looking for a quick bit of re-assurance on something. I recently cleaned an old Pioneer SX-1000TA using a half bottle of Windex, and it seems to have done a pretty good job. I let it dry for a week before I plugged it back in. The FM section is still out, but everything that worked before worked after.

I'm looking to do the same with my Pioneer SX-1080. I've read many posts that discourage getting the tranformer and related bits soaked. I plan on taking a damp cloth to those parts, and protecting them with cardboard or other material while I bathe the rest of the unit. I should be in the clear, right? I wouldn't mind taking the whole thing apart except I don't have any of the gear to put it back together (soldering iron, etc). I really just want to wash away a lot of the dust and gunk. Funny how you just set out to tidy up the pots and take care of the static, and end up doing much more.

Thanks V2. I don't know that I'll 'tub' it, but I will go confidently with the Windex bath and brushes. Muchas gracias!

Mmm... tuner bits are more sensitive and have many little nooks and crannies where water can reside. Use a strong hair-dryer to heat the parts so that they can dry properly. Also make sure you blow all the moisture from under IC chips.

I can not wait to try this. I picked up a cheap Technics receiver a few weeks back that will be a good Guinea Pig before trying this on the good stuff. Can you really use a dish washer? I'll be sure to take before and after pictures.

Cheers

For dirty front knobs, use ammonia 50/50 water. Let soak three or four days. Works every time and nothing to melt them.

Great information. Wish I has seen it before I cleaned a Technics Amp using petrol and left it to dry. There was distinct odor for quite some time. I've not been able to put it back to shape though. de-soldered some wires and have not marked them properly. It is lying with a technician ever since.:sigh:

For dirty front knobs, use ammonia 50/50 water. Let soak three or four days. Works every time and nothing to melt them.

All of my knobs are solid aluminum except for the tiny trim pots on top. Are you talking metal knobs? what about plastic or `formed´ knobs?

-Gregory

I used these instructions to clean a Pioneer QX-949, it was an ashtray for a previous owner. I set the receiver to dry next to my woodstove and now it smells like a fireplace. What do I do?

j/k :D

Thanks for taking the time to compile this instruction set. I am sure it will be great help to many.:thmbsp::thmbsp:

Next time set it next to a french wh%$#..:D

Great tutorial. I just was gave a sansui 9090db. I think it was as one poster said owner used it for a ashtray. One more thing the wire wrapped connections tool and unwrap tool can be had at OELsales.com. Thanks

Soooo glad I found this. I just got an ashtray aka Marantz 2235b that is so grimy and greasy inside that I don't even want to touch it to find out why one channel isn't running correctly. It was bought as start point for an ongoing re-education in equipment repair (read: I need more exercise). Might as well use it for my first try in deep cleansing...

Back
Top Bottom