Tweeter and Midrange adjustment barely makes a difference in Kappa 7.2ii

qguy

Tweeter and Midrange adjustment barely makes a difference in Kappa 7.2ii. I checked the crossover and the potentiometers on the adjustment knob does not seem to be disconnected. What seems to be wrong here ?

Maybe you are expecting more adjustment than the circuit gives?

Try disconnecting the woofer and then listen to the other drivers to see if you can notice any change. The pot might be shorted so that it doesn't work, but the chance of all four going bad at once is pretty low unless it's a manufacturing defect in which case it seems that we would have heard of this before.

Are the connections at the speaker drivers push on or soldered on?
If push on, try disconnecting the wires from the mid/tweeter and using a multi meter connected to the wires check the resistance (ohms), it should go up and/or down as the knob is rotated.
Note--Do NOT let the two wires touch each other.

It's been a while since I've played with the controls on my Kappas (and I'm not home to try it) but IIRC the range between lowest and highest position was fairly small. It may be, as chef free suggested, that this is all the range they're designed for. There are very few circumstances where you'd want more than a few dB of adjustment anyway. They're not meant to be used as tone controls.

I was just looking at the crossover schematic for the Kappa 7.1 (I assume it's similar to the 7.2) and the pot is only 2 ohms. That wouldn't give much of a range of adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom