Tweeter installation help. First time. Few questions.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Shockmaster, May 16, 2018 at 5:28 PM.

1. Shockmaster

Shockmaster Member

Hi guys. So I’m about to be replacing a tweeter for my first time, or first speaker of any kind at that. I have a dead dynaudio D-28 AF I’ll be replacing with the same working tweeter that a really great AK member sold me. Here’s the few questions I have.

First, where do i cut/remove my existing connected cables? Do I try and remove them from the soldering point on the metal connectors? Or should I cut the cables and try and attach them to the little pieces of cable that are still soldered to the new tweeter? I’ll attach photos of my current tweeter that’s still connected and a photo of the new tweeter with the little cable still attached.

So basically, to detach the current tweeter I have now, should I cut the cables and strip the ends? Or try and remove the cable all together from the soldered points on the metal connecting points on the tweeter?

And to connect the new tweeter, should I remove the little pieces of cable still soldered to the metal connectors on the tweeter? Or should I strip those pieces of cable and connect the wire to the cables coming from my speaker? Any help for a noob would be greatly appreciated. I’ve tried searching YouTube videos but there isn’t much.

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Zonker92

Zonker92 All shiny and chrome

I'd cut the crossover's original tweeter wires off the old tweeter, strip the ends, strip the new stub ends of the new tweeter wires, slip some heat-shrink tubing down a ways on the crossover's original tweeter wires (so the tubing doesn't get heated up prematurely), overlap and twist the new and old wires together, solder them together, then slide up the tubing and shrink it over the splice. You might also slide down ahead of time, and then slide up and shrink a larger piece of tubing over both wires at the splices.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Splice-Cable-Like-A-Rocket-Scientist/

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 5:38 PM
  3. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

soundwise it won't make a difference

4. Shockmaster

Shockmaster Member

Okay great. As far as heat-shrink tubing goes, is that something I need to buy? Is electrical tape not an option? Thanks.

5. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

unless you already have some, yes. ET will work just not as neat

6. gdmoore28

gdmoore28 Super Member

Use the heat shrink tubing. It's cheap and easy to find, and once you use it you'll see why it's preferred over electrical tape (which over time looses it's adhesive grip and begins to unwind).

GeeDeeEmm

Zonker92, darkblue94 and doctorolds like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi Sean,

If these were mine, I would desolder the original wires from the dead tweeter and resolder to the replacement tweeter.
    Also, you can get heat shrink tubing from Parts Express, Digikey, Mouser. It's good to have around.

Glenn

8. Shockmaster

Shockmaster Member

I absolutely will do that. Thanks for the info. And thanks so much for sending me the tweeter. The speakers sound great to say the least and your packing was superb.

GD70 likes this.
  9. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

You're welcome and glad they are singing again.

10. Zonker92

Zonker92 All shiny and chrome

Honestly, Glenn’s approach is probably what I’d do, too. The approach I suggested seemed a little safer, though, if you’re new to soldering: it applies less heat directly to your new tweeter; less chance of damaging it. But if you’re used to soldering, it should be a great approach.

GD70 likes this.