Twenty minute beautification project

What I did:
  • Put a faux brushed finish on the front panelThat's all.

The backside of it still looks like crap, but I can ignore that for the time being.

I like it better, now. :)

• Just paint and a steady hand ?
    That looks like the real thing. Very impressive. :thmbsp:

Steve

Just paint and a steady hand ?
That looks like the real thing. Very impressive. :thmbsp:
Thanks, Steve. Not paint though, but sandpaper. :)

I figured out how to do it when I built my little EL84 monoblocks. Pics and a brief description are on this page of the build thread.

Spooky :)

attachment.php

You should move to New Mexico, since you apparently quality as an in-state (and in-ground) resident!?

Steve

Hmm? Some Letraset rub on letters and numbers could take the guess work out of where to set the knobs? Heck of an improvement!

Or to label the knobs you always could go and get a small piece of Plexiglass and use black paint and trace the letters and back light them so they're visible in the dark.

Now you just need to drill 3 little depressions into the front panel above the "Input" knob to replace the previous owner's sharpie work :)

Now you just need to drill 3 little depressions into the front panel above the "Input" knob to replace the previous owner's sharpie work :)
Actually, that's what I'm planning to do. It'll be a while now before I get around to it though, and I should probably wait until I've found the right knobs, anyway.

Awesome job, make a big difference!

Maybe I missed it, but what are the guts of this little passive?

az

Awesome job, make a big difference!

Maybe I missed it, but what are the guts of this little passive?

az
Thanks, az! Guts are a pair of Dave Slagle's autoformers, wired up with some generic switches. The volume switch is especially interesting... it has no stop, so if you turn the volume down and accidentally spin it one step past zero, you hit maximum - it'll wake you up, that's for sure! :rolleyes:

I'm kicking around the idea of rewiring it all with better switches and connectors, but that seems like a lot of work right now.

Back
Top Bottom