1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Twin Cities?

Discussion in 'Regional Clubs' started by Moth R. Superior, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Moth R. Superior

Moth R. Superior Member

Is there any type of community/gathering/swap/club type organization based around audio enthusiasts here in St. Paul/Minneapolis or the TC area?
    Is there any interest?

2. a_retent

a_retent In memory of Daisy Mae

There used to be, been pretty quiet lately.

3. Champco

Champco Active Member

Could be Three for Tea. Over in White Bear

Moth R. Superior likes this.
  4. Inspiribomb

Inspiribomb Enjoy the journey

I'm still around, just not as active.

5. bryblob

bryblob AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would be interested if something were to happen.

6. JDub

JDub AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, there is these guys: https://sites.google.com/site/audiosocietyofminnesota/Home/membership, but I have to say I don't find their website conducive to getting involved. Usually out of date and no real contact info - other than that I know nothing about them.

Years ago there was an (annual?) AK event called Cobblefest, but by the time I realized it was in Mn, the final one had just happened. And a few years ago an AK member hosted a small (6 or 8 of us) gathering in St. Paul - an enjoyable afternoon, but just a one-off.

Unfortunately I don't have space to host a get-together, but if any local members have a mansion/country estate or just a very, very understanding spouse, I'd be interested in a community event.

7. Champco

Champco Active Member

Well so far we have about a half dozen who are showing some interest. So let's do some enticing. I am not above a little organizing for a good time.

I for one have not heard a set of Magneplanar speakers ever. I do have a interest in the technology just because.
    Magnepan is almost in spitting distance from my house.
    I am not above inquiring to them to see if they would give a small group a tour/demo. Just for starters with no details how many would be up to meeting there?

Just like this post.
    Please do not like here unless you can make a meet there.
    No Idea yet when, but I would like to go tell em I have a group from a Audio Forum who would like a tour. Go from there.
    There are more things can be included if we choose.

JDub likes this.
  8. deltalight

deltalight AK Subscriber Subscriber

I went to an Audio Society of Minnesota open house meeting at the Pavek a few years ago. Seemed like everyone's focus was on tube gear and custom speaker builds. Nothing wrong with that, but they look down on vintage solid-state audio gear. Audio Research Corp. was deemed highly. They were looking for new membership.

9. botte

botte New Member

Hi From the Audio Society of Minnesota,

We meet September through May at the Pavek Museum in St. Louis park MN. We regularly use our pair of Magnapan 3.6 speakers, and yes we use a lot of ARC gear, it was donated to the Museum for our use.

We have many DIYers and recording professionals in the group.

Hope to see you there.

Chuck

10. Inspiribomb

Inspiribomb Enjoy the journey

"Cobble in the country" was held at my house a number of years ago. Super fun time with lots of great people, gear and food. I'd consider doing it again, but probably won't be able to this summer as my schedule is packed.

11. mforys

mforys Active Member

The one in St. Paul was at my place. I would be down to have one again at my place in the fall. Sometime in late September or early October would be best.

12. a_retent

a_retent In memory of Daisy Mae

Oh my god the food!!! Fresh, on location, cherry wood smoked salmon, grilled pork egg rolls, grilled brats, salads out the whazoo and top it off with Bob's 5 day marinated steaks grilled over Jack Daniels smoking chips soaked in Jack Daniels.....epic! I got his recipe somewhere in my pile.
    As for gear, 4-5 systems set up in just about every room in your place, including the garage, from SET, PP, triode and SS amps playing TTs, digital and CDs. Let's not forget the 8-10 people crammed into your 8'x8' office listening to "Rockit" at window flexing level on your KEF towers and Toby's monster Sansui receiver, and then there was Lance's (Westend) system serenading the cows in the field across the road.....jeez what a great time we had. :bigok: