Two Cashier Lines - What's the protocol?

At Walmart I seem to choose the line where the lady in from of me has a huge stack of coupons to redeem.

The other option is the line where the cashier requests a price check for an item located at the far end of the store.

I'll kind of "drift by" and scope out all of the open register lines, but ultimately just pick one and live with my decision. The only time I'll move to another line is if they open an adjacent register and the cashier calls for next in line--even then (more often than not) I'll tell someone else to go, because I'm next here anyways and have already invested time in waiting here--what's another couple minutes at this point.

My kitchen and pantry look like a "food bank", so I only shop once every week or two, so 9 times out of 10, when I go to the grocery store, I have a heaping cart-load of stuff. It is very rare that I just stop by for a couple things--and even then it never works out that way.

If there is a little old lady in line behind me with two or three things, or someone with 2 or 3 screaming kids, I always put them ahead of me--I'm sure Mom wants out of there as badly as I want her and her screaming kids out of there.

Few months back I was in line with a "truckload" of stuff, and the place was packed because they were running a huge 3-day sale--lines out the wazoo with all registers open. I didn't notice the little old lady behind me with three things in her hands. By the time I noticed and went to let her ahead of me, the cashier had already started ringing my order, so I couldn't. I took her three things, handed them to the cashier and told her to put them on my order and bag them. They know me there, so she did--I handed them back to the little old lady and told her to have a nice day. She immediately started fishing for money in her purse, and I just told her no--have a nice day. No reason for her to stand there for 20 minutes behind me for $4-5 worth of stuff. Guess that's just how I was raised, and I spend twice that much money on a pack of cigarettes (every day), so a couple bucks doesn't matter.

I eye ball the cashier and customer and their load and pick the one that seems to be doing business.

I try to avoid chatty cashiers, women with day cares in tow, people that look like they have all day and do not have a payment plan at the ready.

Things have gotten smoother and quicker since debit cards arrived.

As goofy as the PNW seems, the general population is actually pretty decent in the areas I frequent. A glance at each other usually provokes a hand gesture that indicates “go ahead”. Almost to a fault. It’s a running joke where two or more people are planning “go ahead” and no one is more going!

Now in Vegas, things were more “get your shit together and MOVE!” There, things move quick so there is usually no problem deciding. Vegas knows how to get your money quick and people there know how to spend money quick.

Out in ND, they are more “no question about how it’s done”. The lanes are clearly obvious, the methods are understood. The pace is totally different there too. Getting to the store is an opportunity to see friends and “catch up”.
Give it take and hour on a “shopping” day is nothing. I’ve never noticed much backup at checkout lanes. They tend to move along well. People “visit” in line and chat.

I’ve reached the point where I realize that there is no reason to be in an impatient hurry. There is nothing worth being worried about. Life will progress, earth will turn, stupid will reign whether I am on time or not.

For me … it depends. If I'm the only one in line (middle), I'll take the next available cashier in either line. If people are darting to one line or the other … I'll pick just one (which inevitably will be the one that takes longer). :mad:

Basically I'll just observe what other people are doing at that particular venue. Not sure if there is a standard protocol.

Light a smoke bomb, scream fire, and walk out with the stuff in the mass exodus.
Or,
Pick a line and stick to it. If the other line clears next person in line goes to the empty register.

Every time you use a self serve lane, an angel loses it's wings ... pass it on ...

I've been fighting those self-serve lanes for years but am slowly becoming assimilated :(
Often they close the full service lanes in Lowes & Home Depot, so I started joining the contractor lines.
And most of my runs to the grocery store include beer and that requires an ID check by a cashier. For alcohol purchases in Target they insist I let them scan my driver's license. Hell no! you can look, but not scan :no: That forces them to find a manager to override the clerk's register. Meanwhile the line behind me grows :rolleyes:

Everytime you use a self service line you're able to go about your day much quicker than the people who don't. I don't know about the naysayers but my time has value. I also don't see a derth of unemployed horse carriage manufacturers or typewriter repairmen out there unable to find jobs. The world moves on.

Everytime you use a self service line you're able to go about your day much quicker than the people who don't.

In general, this is never true for me--inevitably, at least one item in my handful of items at the self check-out requires an "attendant" or manager to override the automated system, and there is only one of them on duty trying to attend to 6 automated registers. And I have never gotten a discount for being my own cashier and bag-boy. "They" save money on labor, but I'm not getting compensated in any way to do another persons' job, and rarely do I get out any faster after waiting on an override.

In general, this is never true for me--inevitably, at least one item in my handful of items at the self check-out requires an "attendant" or manager to override the automated system, and there is only one of them on duty trying to attend to 6 automated registers. And I have never gotten a discount for being my own cashier and bag-boy. "They" save money on labor, but I'm not getting compensated in any way to do another persons' job, and rarely do I get out any faster after waiting on an override.
Retail and food service where I’m at are perpetually in a state of hiring with some locations advertising walk-in interviews (where I go for Sodastream supplies). The grocery store I go to just expanded its self checkout aisle to have three times as many units. They’re also advertising for to open positions in produce and bakery. So any money saved is being spent on other jobs elsewhere.

Everytime you use a self service line you're able to go about your day much quicker than the people who don't. I don't know about the naysayers but my time has value. I also don't see a derth of unemployed horse carriage manufacturers or typewriter repairmen out there unable to find jobs. The world moves on.

Agreed; I've also found it much quicker to park and briskly walk inside for a cup of joe rather than sit in the car in the drive thru lane. Time is valuable and walking a few steps is something that benefits lots of us my lard ass included.

Agreed; I've also found it much quicker to park and briskly walk inside for a cup of joe rather than sit in the car in the drive thru lane. Time is valuable and walking a few steps is something that benefits lots of us my lard ass included.
I can’t agree more. For a week I was driving around with a shift linkage bushing that was glued together until the replacement part came in. If the jury rigged bushing failed, I’d lose reverse. On my lunch breaks at work I go get some coffee. I timed the drive thru. The average was there abouts a twenty minute wait.

But there wasn’t parking where I could pull straight through. And I wasn’t going to take up spots perpendicular.

Quote by Bruce Lee:
"You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend."

Retail and food service where I’m at are perpetually in a state of hiring with some locations advertising walk-in interviews (where I go for Sodastream supplies). The grocery store I go to just expanded its self checkout aisle to have three times as many units. They’re also advertising for to open positions in produce and bakery. So any money saved is being spent on other jobs elsewhere.

You completely missed my point. Yes--all the grocery stores and restaurants on this end of the state are practically begging for employees--no one wants to work anymore.

My point being that if you need additional staff (like stockers, bakers, deli staff, etc), then business is obviously increasing, so, therefore, so must be the revenues--so hire them. Instead, you keep the extra revenues and cut the level of service to customers to line your pockets. There are discount warehouse stores around here that do not have "lot rats" out returning carts and sweeping up debris, bagging your groceries, offering to load your groceries into your car, or follow you with an umbrella out into the lot, or even stocking shelves (stuff is just in cases on pallets in the store--but they charge 20% less for their products.

You want to eliminate cashiers and bag-boys and replace them with self check-outs--so I get to do all the work that a paid employee used to do without compensating ME in any way for doing it. It costs the same amount for my groceries if I have to scan them and bag them myself as it does if I go to a line with a cashier and bag-boy to perform those duties. Why would I be in favor of going to a self check-out?

Unless the check out area is explicitly set out for one line feeding many agents (tellers, cashiers whatever...) people around here tend to form 2 lines for two cashiers.

The one line feeds many agents gives a perception of faster service (at least the customer that clogs up the works doesn't have fuming people behind them) because the line is almost always in motion. This is done at airports and a lot of banks to cut customer stress..

PERCEPTION vs. reality...

OK then ... every time I see a thread like this, I immediately blame home schooling for a total lack of empathy, common sense, and respect for our fellow travelers on the journey of life ...

Probably just me though, so forget I mentioned it. ;-}

You completely missed my point. Yes--all the grocery stores and restaurants on this end of the state are practically begging for employees--no one wants to work anymore.

My point being that if you need additional staff (like stockers, bakers, deli staff, etc), then business is obviously increasing, so, therefore, so must be the revenues--so hire them. Instead, you keep the extra revenues and cut the level of service to customers to line your pockets. There are discount warehouse stores around here that do not have "lot rats" out returning carts and sweeping up debris, bagging your groceries, offering to load your groceries into your car, or follow you with an umbrella out into the lot, or even stocking shelves (stuff is just in cases on pallets in the store--but they charge 20% less for their products.

You want to eliminate cashiers and bag-boys and replace them with self check-outs--so I get to do all the work that a paid employee used to do without compensating ME in any way for doing it. It costs the same amount for my groceries if I have to scan them and bag them myself as it does if I go to a line with a cashier and bag-boy to perform those duties. Why would I be in favor of going to a self check-out?

You’re right about big box stores. However that’s an interest element of first-world suffering that I choose not to expose myself to. Just grocery stores are a unique case. Typically their margins are very thin. They have complicated logistics and a very perishable inventory.

What you see as lost value is weird. You’re saving like one calorie having somebody do that stuff for you. Meanwhile I’m saving time. I don’t buy the value argument at all because lost time has a higher opportunity cost.

Back
Top Bottom