Two Cashier Lines - What's the protocol?

Does any of this matter anymore that most stores will now let you order your stuff online and they will either deliver it to your car, or home?

It is interesting that you make this observation. When internet shopping and home delivery started out, only a handful of retailers were doing it (now everyone is doing it, so it is not so "special"), and using it as a "value added" convenience feature for their customers, to increase exposure, and to gain market share. Some retailers even offered deep on-line only discounts.

Lately, I have been seeing TV commercials (Sears, Macy's and JCPenny, specifically) that are offering in-store only special offers. They are realizing that their prospering on-line business is killing their B&M retail business. They spend a lot of money to maintain that B&M network (in terms of overhead arnd staffing), and need people back in the stores to keep them viable--which clearly they are not, based on the wide-spread store closures nationwide.

On-line shoppers look for specific items and order what they want from the cheapest on-line retailer. Those that still operate B&M locations NEED people in the store "browsing" and buying more than just that one item they were looking for. It will be interesting to see how this "trends-out" as we approach "black Friday" and "cyber Monday" this year.

I've got much worse things to worry about than this. In, out and always self check if they have them with my couple of items, not a shopper. Can't remember the last time I pushed a buggy except for the ones left in the lot back to the store.

Back
Top Bottom