Two Channeling With Zeus and Leo

Zeus is the best ever!

Regards,
Michael

Obviously has false expectations...

System looking top notch as always...

Love your system and setup, but Zeus is priceless! And, yes, he looks thoroughly unimpressed. :rflmao:

Nice to see the appreciation for Z still reigns supreme. Poor guy is starting to slow down. Of course, given his perpetual state of laziness, it's hard to tell..

It's been awhile since I made any major tweaks to my system, but the time has finally come to re-engage my long neglected cd collection. All I can say is I definitely picked the right time to do it - it seems easier than ever to have a working, convenient way to access your digital files remotely while maintaining quality.

Mind you, when I started, I had no idea what I was doing. But after downloading Roon and being blown away by the interference and ease of access to old and new (via Tidal) music, I started to research how I could stream my music in hi-rez. I grew tired of hearing the hard drive spinning on my Mac Mini when I had it headless near my main system, so I wanted to move it downstairs to where my modem/router is.

Step one was learning how to setup a NAS next to my router with all my digital files stored on it. Luckily the Synology DS416plus was made for streaming music and video files with a Mac. I configured it with 4 hot-swappable 3 TB hard drives set up in a RAID format. If a drive dies or I want to add a larger one, I just pull it out and put a new drive in. In other words, simple but flexible with room to expand.

Step two was connecting my Mac Mini to my router, loading Roon and making the Mac Mini its "core." From there, Roon found the files on the NAS and let me stream it via wifi throughout my house. All while nicely tucked away in a cabinet downstairs:

32577623545_13fe56ae3c_b.jpg

To play my music upstairs however, I wanted something more reliable than wifi, so I ran another ethernet cable upstairs to my main listening room. I then added the microRendu Sonore:

32455226141_ce3691f382_b.jpg

The microRendu is an awesome device. Ethernet in, USB out, and virtually no limitations (DSD, MQA, etc), it's perfect to let me stream hi-rez files from my NAS to my Cary 306 SACD. It's also "roon ready" and was instantly recognized by my network. Only problem is the Cary can only take optical/coaxial/XLR digital inputs and is limited to 24/192. For now I'm using my Stella U3 converter, but an upgrade will soon be on the way to replace the Cary with a dac that can play DSD.

Still, I'm happier than ever, rediscovering my digital connection and looking for new ways to grow it again..

Last edited:
Looking good there and I'll bet it sounds great:thumbsup: Gotta love those blue meters. Now what are Zeus's thoughts on the new gear...........pics?

Ask, and you shall receive..

Z wasn't too thrilled when he saw someone else get access to the chair which has been historically off-limits..
32015416284_53497f8e09_b.jpg

..but after a brief stretch to gather his thoughts..

32477454820_af25db965d_b.jpg

..he eventually settled into his new favorite spot, offering himself up as a bass trap for good measure..

32043727133_65a4da8e08_b.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice setup! Comfortable looking room. My guess is some good karma in that room with the music playing...

I'm sure everyone has their "unicorn" piece of stereo equipment. The one piece you've always wanted, but seemed equally always out of reach. Well, mine has always been the Thiel 3.7 Les Paul edition speakers. Only 13 pairs were ever made, each individually signed by Les Paul only months before he passed away. Gibson's signature sunburst finish applied seperately at their custom factory. They were also Jim Thiel's last speaker.

Long story short, these are now inbound:

Thiel 3.7 Les Paul's in tobacco finish. Well worth the wait!

Hoping to have these bad boys within the next couple of weeks. More pics to follow..

Last edited:
I'm sure everyone has their "unicorn" piece of stereo equipment. The one piece you've always wanted, but seemed equally always out of reach. Well, mine has always been the Thiel 3.7 Les Paul edition speakers. Only 13 pairs were ever made, each individually signed by Les Paul only months before he passed away. Gibson's signature sunburst finish applied seperately at their custom factory. They were also Jim Thiel's last speaker.

Hoping to have these bad boys within the next couple of weeks. More pics to follow..

:eek2:

That's Just Crazy.......Congrats on Your Unicorn Kill.;)

Thanks for Sharing, Mike.

Oooweeee! Those are beautiful! I've not been on your thread in a long while...man, your space/gear is show room level....if it hasnt happened already, one of the major audiophile magazines should come and feature your gear/space.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom