3-way

I recently picked up a pair of 1978 K Horns dirt cheap from the original owner, and they were local. A few light scratches on the tops but other than that their beautiful. I must be crazy or something, but I just couldn't pass them up......herein lies the problem.........I already have a pair of 1975 K Horns and I only have two "good" corners in my listening room!

Anyone ever put a pair of K horns side by side in 1 corner?
I suppose I could take the tops off and stack them but then what do I do with the horns?

PS-Thanks to all for the advice on aiming my La Scala's, I was able to utilize 4 out of the 6.

I cant picture side by side. I can picture stacked..... just invert the one on top so the horns are close together.

I suggest one set atop the other with the top set of mid and treble horns unhooked but left in place. This should improve bass and lower midrange dynamics and distortion.

You could stack them with the top speaker inverted and run all the mid-treble horns but the decrease in distortion might be nullified by weird peaks and nulls.

I've thought about this before. Stacked inverted with one mid-high cab between the bass bins seems cool to me. Hang the other pair of top cabs in a garage, workshop, porch, whatever to blast the 'hood.

I have hiding some where some variable band pass filters. I would stack the Khorns with one operating full range and the other connected to a separate amp with a variable low pass filter. Then with the filter set at 40 hz and the amps with identical gain I would increase the filters up ward until I got the best performance for the bottom frequencies. I would guess the second bass horn supplementing the first some where below 70 Hz.

Other wise I would just stack them full range for starters, then may be disconnect one of the mid horns. The older tweeters have a nice roll-off so having two that close together won't be an issue.

I know Klipsch builds a stout cabinet....but I'd be a bit concerned about the weight being transmitted to/through the tophats instead of the bass bin.

Hate to have a catastrophic tip-over...

There is a canuck with stacked inverted KHorns. He complained that every single amp he owned was too loud.

Make sure you pull the studs from the bass bins on the top units.

Back
Top Bottom