TWO MC275 as monoblocks - is it a good idea?

anton

I recently purchased a MC 275 and I use it as a power amp for the fronts with Mcintosh MHT100 receiver as pre. The speakers are Sonus Faber Grand Pianos. Now the sound is wonderful but I would still love to get more punch (I listen to a plenty of heavy metal CDs and my Mac sounds a bit slow with them) and probably a deeper and tighter bass. Is bying another 275 and running them as monoblocks a good idea in my case? Now folks on Audiogon persuade me to sell 275 and go solid state (MC402). But I'm getting quickly used to he wonderful highs and mids (that are night and day difference to pretty coloured MHT100 used as intergrated amp) and I still hope that a couple of 275 probably can do the job. Now the "speed and punch" problem is not a huge one. It's just that I need a little bit more. Now if anyone has ANY experience with bridged 275's can you please tell me your impressions - I know a lot of people use em that way so the must be a reason.

Using bridged MC-225s...

Bridging Mac tube amps is a nice thing to do, actually, but the results depend on what you want. I'm played around with 1 and 2 MC-225s with my Quad ESL988s with excellent results but in a smaller living room. If you are running heavy metal, then I'd seriously doubt that another MC275 would improve things that much for you.

Here are some things to think about:

* Have you updated you MC-275 with new power supply components and interstage coupling caps - in other words, is the amp up to spec?
- I am assuming here that you are refering to the original issue of MC-275 in your post.
- I would not judge this amp without having done this first.

* How big is your room and how effiecient are your speakers?
- Room size and speaker efficiency both determine the sound you hear.
- If you've got a large room and inefficient speakers, then I, too, would consider SS amps like the Mac 402 - especially with hard rock at concert levels.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

I can't find ANYWHERE on my Mac if it's a new version or not. Any specific marks to tell them from each other? And what do you mean by new power supply components and interstage coupling caps. English's not my naitive language so I'm sometimes lost in technical terms. My room is around 40 square meters and Sonus Faber are 90 Db sensitive (6 Ohm).

i think the reissues have balance inputs as well as RCA? I hear nothing but praise for the 252, 352, 402 amps as regard to that soothness that the tubes give you...When i used a Mc pre, I traded it quickly for a Berning TF-10,,night and day difference...

WhiteSE said:
i think the reissues have balance inputs as well as RCA? I hear nothing but praise for the 252, 352, 402 amps as regard to that soothness that the tubes give you...When i used a Mc pre, I traded it quickly for a Berning TF-10,,night and day difference...

My Mac has balanced inputs. Does that mean that I have the new reissue?

Yes you must have either the Commemorative Edition, the Stainless Steel or the latter : the Mc275iV (with an IEC plug-in power cord)

http://www.mc275.com
mc275commemorative_pw.jpg

I don't think i can answer your question, as to which YOU would prefer, a pr. of 275's or a 402, but I can offer a few opinions.
I'm running a bi-amped setup with a 402 on the bottom and a 275 on top.I, personally consider this the ideal and ultimate way to go. If you can find it financially doable,then I would say go for it and I'm sure you would be very pleased.But it's a big commitment,and involves a x-over,more cables, and alot of tuning/tweaking.But it gives you BIG TIME punch and sweet delicate sound at the same time.
As for which would be better regarding a pair of 275's or a 402,I don't know. I think the 402 would offer more slam and bass, but the 275's would sound better in other regards.
I had a second 275 that I tried in a monoblock setup, and the results were awesome. The biggest difference I noticed was a much larger 3-d soundstage, probably the best I've heard, ever.Can't recall any major improvements in bass or slam ,though.
The 402 is very smooth ,relaxed and tubelike.But the mc275 is well, something I never see leaving my possesion,ever.
One other thought- have you tried rolling tubes? Some tubes are alot more dynamic than others.

Hope this helps.

I'll will just provide a vote of confidence in the MC252. I debated the purchase of the MC275 as well. Reading the reviews in The Absulute Sound gave me confidence that the new Mac ss amps are very good. They stated the MC402 bested the MC2102.

I have a pair of Klispch La Scalas with ALK crossover as My fronts. These are known to be harsh by many. My MC252 with balanced cables are pushing them from my MX119. I can listen to Korn,Godsmack, and Mettallica with no discomfort (no harshnnes). This is hard to do with horn speakers. I therefore conclude that the MC252 will give you smooth highs and Mids.

jc :)

The main reason I'm a bit sceptical about 402 or something lika that is my MHT100's performance. As an intergrated stereo amp it was pretty mediocre. The sound was a bit coloured and highs were pretty unnatural. On a lot of CDs they cymbals were very bright and piercing. I can listen these CDs now with ease. And MHT100 didn't have the punch either. I was thinking that 75 tube wats of 275 will result in much more driving sound. but strangely the volume level remained the same, and I had to set the power amp senbsivity to 1.2 Volt (to maximum). The average comfortable volume level was around 70-75 before 275 and it's still more or less the same way when used on 8 Ohms (my Grand Pianos are 6 Ohms). At 4 Ohms the level is 80-85, the sound is much worse, there is no bass, the amp is strangling with pretty much every CD. Now at 8 ohms the sound is OK most of the time. The CDs that truly sound awful are old 80's metal CDs, nonremastered. Remastered and modern (mixed louder) metal CDs are OK. Nothing spectacular but OK. Maybe Macs are not made for metal at all? All the other music sounds great, but when it comes to something heavier, guitar tone becomes muddy and the whole sound is a mess.

Last edited:
Two MC275s run in mono will have more authority and drive. When in mono the output tubes are parallel, two per channel as used on the MC2102 and MC2000. The noise spec will improve slightly when this is done but I doubt that is audible.

Ron-C

Do you guys know if I go the monoblock route what kind of jumper wire should I use. Does the quality matter in this case or should I use any piece of wire?

Back
Top Bottom